• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New MCPON announced

SkywardET

Contrarian
I am still a bit puzzled but the recently departed MCPON's sudden departure. It just seems odd.
There could be many motivations, but on face, I don't see what's so odd about the reason that MCPON Campa has given. Sounds like, to use a metaphor, he wanted to quit while he was way, way ahead, and pass the torch relay-style.

A cynic would see this as legacy-securement or buy into the hype about his relationship with the current CNO, but despite myself being a cynic, I see it as him wanting to change things for the better, and giving the next MCPON a very strong precedent to follow.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There could be many motivations, but on face, I don't see what's so odd about the reason that MCPON Campa has given. Sounds like, to use a metaphor, he wanted to quit while he was way, way ahead, and pass the torch relay-style.

It is odd because it is so rarely done, military leaders in an appointed position such as his almost always serve out their appointed term. A shortened term is usually because of mitigating circumstances like an illness in the family or job-related issues.

I think it is odd because of the short notice given and the reason. I believe the MCPON's main reason for being is to advise the CNO on enlisted matters, I don't see how that job could be 'done' before his term is up.

SkywardET

Contrarian
I see what you're getting at, but I support the MCPON's stated reasons, even if there are other ones.

You misused a term, I believe. The MCPON certainly knows that he was not 'done' in his duties. This is evidenced by his acknowledgement that he was not done and that he still had ideas floating around about things he could influence, and hopes that the next MCPON will be involved with those initiatives.

In general, I see this as an extremely positive example to follow. I suppose it comes from what I believe the most important tenants of leadership are, which have yet to be shaped by any Officer training regime until I report to Naval Science Institute. First and foremost, in my opinion, the quality of subordinate development is the most important leadership quality one can have. MCPON Campa's actions, both his accomplishments in changing the Chief's Mess and his sudden departure, both illustrate that quality.

Substantively, his abdicating the MCPON throne does many things which help many people out to varying degrees. It gives another Master Chief a chance a rare chance at career advancement (in this case Master Chief Rick West, assuming he is not taken down by 'marital impropriety' allegations), his impending retirement opens up a Master Chief billet somewhere, and his example of sprinting from start of the tour to the end is one to be copied ad infinitum.

Now, granted, there is something to be said about him not "finishing" his tour, but in reality, at his level, you do have a greater deal of freedom in choosing your fate. 'Rank has its privileges' in action, I suppose.