• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Photos from Afghanistan

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Fantastic pics! Interesting to see the Afghan Eradication Force in action.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Great pics, Ned. Thanks.

What the hell is this thing? I've seen one in a S. American country, but wasn't sure what they "do" or what it is.

Attachments

• A044.jpg
    A044.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 194

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I think that's a modified, NASA B-57....I thought it was used for high altitude research.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Great pics, Ned. Thanks.

What the hell is this thing? I've seen one in a S. American country, but wasn't sure what they "do" or what it is.

RB-57...high altitude "weather" research, based out of Ellington Field, TX.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Great pics, Ned. Thanks.

It's a WB-57F. The AF used to have a bunch of them & used them for "weather" reconnaissance around various high-interest areas.

Now, they're owned & operated by the NASA, I believe & only a very few remain. The original was a Martin-built medium bomber built under license in the US from the British Canberra original. The AF used the RB-57 in Viet Nam in the photo-reconnnaissance role. The engines were started by igniting an explosive charge in the engine (no shit) that always had people jumping for binjo ditches, as it sounded like in-coming rockets or whatever. The Aussies used them in Viet Nam in the Air-to-Mud role as well.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Interesting, thanks for the info. The "weather" can be very dynamic where I saw it, no doubt much like Afghanistan.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So this may be a dumb question...the door gunner appears to be wearing NVG's and the photo appears to be taken with a flash. Would that cause problems?

These are some Badass pictures!
A039.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not as a one time thing w/in the aircraft. Outside it might have the potential to be weird when landing or something, but goggles nowadays aren't like Patriot Games where a flash of lightning happens and you all of a sudden need eye surgery.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Check Six, thanks for the pics...I always look forward to hearing you have some new ones up. +1

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a WB-57F. The AF used to have a bunch of them & used them for "weather" reconnaissance around various high-interest areas.

Now, they're owned & operated by the NASA, I believe & only a very few remain.

There are only two left, NASA uses them for various types of research projects and to monitor the shuttle launches. I believe they have EO/IR sensors (fitted to the nose and movable, think of a super-ATFLIR/LITENING) that can cover the shuttle's ascent from high altitude and check for debris coming off that could damage them.

I believe the reason NASA still flies them in addition to the ER-2's (NASA's U-2's) is that they have a much larger payload capacity/flexibility and the backseater adds a bit of flexibility to the mission.

Official site, with specs, pics and missions:

http://jsc-aircraft-ops.jsc.nasa.gov/wb57/index.html

Cabbage

None
There are only two left, NASA uses them for various types of research projects and to monitor the shuttle launches. I believe they have EO/IR sensors (fitted to the nose and movable, think of a super-ATFLIR/LITENING) that can cover the shuttle's ascent from high altitude and check for debris coming off that could damage them.

I believe the reason NASA still flies them in addition to the ER-2's (NASA's U-2's) is that they have a much larger payload capacity/flexibility and the backseater adds a bit of flexibility to the mission.

Official site, with specs, pics and missions:

http://jsc-aircraft-ops.jsc.nasa.gov/wb57/index.html

The WB-57 was working with a NRL NP-3D to make geologic maps of Afghanistan. The maps were to assist the people of Afghanistan make roads, look for oil, and do something with their economy other than heroin. See attached link for more info:

http://afghanistan.cr.usgs.gov/airborne.php

Flugelman

Contributor

Now, they're owned & operated by the NASA, I believe & only a very few remain. The original was a Martin-built medium bomber built under license in the US from the British Canberra original. The AF used the RB-57 in Viet Nam in the photo-reconnnaissance role. The engines were started by igniting an explosive charge in the engine (no shit) that always had people jumping for binjo ditches, as it sounded like in-coming rockets or whatever. The Aussies used them in Viet Nam in the Air-to-Mud role as well.

The "explosive charge" was like a huge shotgun cartridge, sans shot. The first time I saw one used was at Clark AFB in the early 60's. I was on the wing of a C-121 fueling when this B-57 on the line across from us started belching huge amounts of black smoke. I was ready to haul ass for a fire bottle when the Chief I was working with stopped me, laughing his ass off.

I did see one about 5 years ago in the pattern at Charleston AFB. It wasn't the recon version either. I couldn't tell if it was civilian or military from my perspective.