• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Photos from Afghanistan

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I just have one question, what is MasterBates doing in Afghanistan? Moonlighting as a helo pilot for a security contractor on the weekends? MasterBates, I know money is tight, but that must be a hell of a commute! :D

AF060.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The "explosive charge" was like a huge shotgun cartridge, sans shot. The first time I saw one used was at Clark AFB in the early 60's. I was on the wing of a C-121 fueling when this B-57 on the line across from us started belching huge amounts of black smoke. I was ready to haul ass for a fire bottle when the Chief I was working with stopped me, laughing his ass off.

I did see one about 5 years ago in the pattern at Charleston AFB. It wasn't the recon version either. I couldn't tell if it was civilian or military from my perspective.

There are a few in private hands or it could have been an RAF Canberra (if it was tan and gray), they were still flying a handful of the photo recon (Canberra PR.9) birds until '06:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/5190242.stm

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
There was an WB-57 here in Corpus last week. A bunch of us were arguing over what it was. Glad to know that I was somewhat on the mark when I told them it was the same thing as a British Canberra bomber.

Neat looking plane.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Not as a one time thing w/in the aircraft. Outside it might have the potential to be weird when landing or something, but goggles nowadays aren't like Patriot Games where a flash of lightning happens and you all of a sudden need eye surgery.

Probably be a nicety if you let folks know you're going to use the flash - otherwise unexpected really bright bursts of light inside the aircraft might cause, uh, concern....

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There was an WB-57 here in Corpus last week. A bunch of us were arguing over what it was. Glad to know that I was somewhat on the mark when I told them it was the same thing as a British Canberra bomber.

Neat looking plane.

I leave for one week and look what I miss.....

Actually when I was in college I did this undergrad engineering co-op/project type thing in the "Vomit Comet", and our work area was in the hanger w/ the WB-57's. I was there 4 weeks and I never once saw either of them move...

Check Six

FlyInSpy - Just so you know yes I did talk to Jason about using the flash both before we got airborne and also during the flight. Even went as far as giving all the crew a heads up over the intercom before I took the shots, a countdown of 3-2-1 so if they wanted to close their eyes for a sec they could.

Ned

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
As an aside, does this mean that there are NASA pilots who are collecting combat pay right now? Or should we just assume they are contract aircraft....

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Incidentally, the AF B-57s employed some of the first low light, FLIR gear for night interdiction on the Ho Chi Mihn trail....
800px-Martin_B-57G.jpg

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
FlyInSpy - Just so you know yes I did talk to Jason about using the flash both before we got airborne and also during the flight. Even went as far as giving all the crew a heads up over the intercom before I took the shots, a countdown of 3-2-1 so if they wanted to close their eyes for a sec they could.
I figured that you did - otherwise you probably wouldn't have been invited back! :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Incidentally, the AF B-57s employed some of the first low light, FLIR gear for night interdiction on the Ho Chi Mihn trail....

Not to belittle the AF's efforts nor the excellent work of the B-57G crews, but the Navy A-6C's from the Boomer's (initially) -- i.e., VA-165 -- did the first FLIR/TRAM mission along Uncle Ho's trail ... spring/summer '70.

One of the 12 A-6C's was lost -- the remaining 11 A-6C's were converted to A-6E configuration in the years following the Vietnam war.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
There was an WB-57 here in Corpus last week. A bunch of us were arguing over what it was.

Heard an aircraft with a NASA callsign check-in with Houston Center last week asking for a block altitude of FL450-500. After getting it, another a/c asked "What type of aircraft IS that?" Response: "WB-57."