• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Shocker Picture

Super Hornet 88

ea18g_lg.jpg

EA-1, the first EA-18G flight test aircraft, leaves the thick-walled "hush house" at Boeing's St. Louis facilities after its first engine run. The first EA-18G will roll out Aug. 3.

-Dan

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
so were the flight test videos on Boeing's website (posted a year back or so) just of an F-model with ALQ-99's on the wings?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
so were the flight test videos on Boeing's website (posted a year back or so) just of an F-model with ALQ-99's on the wings?

Yes, but it's eventually going to be kind of a semantics issue as the basic airframe is the same. Thus far many of the various components of the G have been tested on existing F models. Once the whole package becomes permanently installed in an airframe, it becomes a G. My understanding is that when they go into full production, they will be building the Gs from the ground up, as it's more difficult to mod an F to a G.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, but it's eventually going to be kind of a semantics issue as the basic airframe is the same. Thus far many of the various components of the G have been tested on existing F models. Once the whole package becomes permanently installed in an airframe, it becomes a G. My understanding is that when they go into full production, they will be building the Gs from the ground up, as it's more difficult to mod an F to a G.

Brett

Nice thing is, as far as I know, the F conversions that are happening are coming from Lot 29 and above jets... uber-new.

GoLSU94

Don't take the Bonus.

Brett

Actually most of the testing has been done on an E model.
The designation off the line is EA-1. Really it is F-134 or 135. G-1 will not roll out for quite sometime. The Gs will be lot 30s. The initial plan was to diverge the production lines then converge them a few years down the line when there is more similarity.
The Gs will use the same software as the rest of the rhino family but will have an additional menu for the AEA functions.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Anyone know what the Marine Corps wants to do regarding the "Shocker/"Growler"/"All-anal Action" or whatever we're calling it? The JSF is SOMEDAY supposed to supplant the F-18, and we're supposed to neck-down our number of a/c types. So, I can't see us re-investing on another F-18 platform.

I've heard suggestions of a EW JSF variant, but unless someone goes in on it with us, I can't see the Marine Corps going to such a great length to replace 20-30 aircraft. Besides, even with electronic help, single-seat EW has to be difficult. This is all not even taking into account the fact that the EA-6Bs barely remain under USMC control most of the time, anyway, so why not shed the mission. Any VMAQ guys here for insight?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually most of the testing has been done on an E model.
The designation off the line is EA-1. Really it is F-134 or 135. G-1 will not roll out for quite sometime. The Gs will be lot 30s. The initial plan was to diverge the production lines then converge them a few years down the line when there is more similarity.
The Gs will use the same software as the rest of the rhino family but will have an additional menu for the AEA functions.

This can only be one person. :D I hear Spud is getting a "real" squadron. His future CO is down here on CQ.

Brett

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Anyone know what the Marine Corps wants to do regarding the "Shocker/"Growler"/"All-anal Action" or whatever we're calling it? The JSF is SOMEDAY supposed to supplant the F-18, and we're supposed to neck-down our number of a/c types. So, I can't see us re-investing on another F-18 platform.

I've heard suggestions of a EW JSF variant, but unless someone goes in on it with us, I can't see the Marine Corps going to such a great length to replace 20-30 aircraft. Besides, even with electronic help, single-seat EW has to be difficult. This is all not even taking into account the fact that the EA-6Bs barely remain under USMC control most of the time, anyway, so why not shed the mission. Any VMAQ guys here for insight?

I'm not a VMAQ guy, but I'm pretty sure when the final Prowlers go away from the Corps, so goes EA. I think it had something to do with us losing control of them anyway (like you said).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not a VMAQ guy, but I'm pretty sure when the final Prowlers go away from the Corps, so goes EA. I think it had something to do with us losing control of them anyway (like you said).

Question: Why do the Marines need an EA capability? Especially in such a joint atmosphere as today?