• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
hey everyone....I'm the FNG and just wanted to say hi
Right now I'm a MIDN 3/C in mechanical engineering; for all of you that have service selected, I was wondering what kinda GPA's are getting people pilot slots in technical majors?? thanks!

Ex Rigger

pilot
I didn't get it with a 3.0 but I compete with the STA-21 guys only. Another STA-21 guy at SDSU didn't get it with a 3.6.....but here at A&M a mid got a flight slot with a 2.8. Go figure......However, I did get selected SNFO!!!

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
PropStop said:
a "fighter slot"? didn't know you could be fast tracked to fighters....

Prop, I think you're reading what you want to see rather than what's there, no one said "fighter slot" he said "flight slot" you seem a little jumpy.

Merry Christmas!

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
3.2-ish. you have to be pretty liberal to call my major a technical one, but it does count...and I came from an A&M unit (Florida State co-ops with FAMU's unit).

as I was? as I was? i only said that in formation once before I was set straight.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Just to throw it out there, becuase I always do.

FYI, what was good enough to get SNA this yr, may (read "will") not be the same next yr or the following years. It is such a fluid thing and therefore changes almost constantly.
The best advice for a 3/C... BUST YOU A$$ and make you package as competive as possible, if for no other reason than if you don't get it, at least you know it was not becuase you did not try hard enough...

Just as an example, 2 yrs ago I got it along with everyone else in my class and all of us had real close (both plus and minus) to a 3.0 in aero eng. With those grades today, I doubt we would have all gotten it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
yeah...i just figured now is about as hard as its ever gonna get to get in; at least thats what it seems like from what everybody has been sayin

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
MIDNJAC,
I was the same way you are when I was a 3/c. I hated people telling me not to worry about it and just to chill out. It is your future and naturally you are going to be worried about it but there really is no telling what the standards are going to be. Sorry. Make sure you rock the ASTB, that is something like 40% of the whole package. Good luck with everything.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Right on, yeah I'm not too worried about the ASTB from what I've heard from other guys at my unit, but I guess worrying about grades and everything else isn't gonna get me a pilot slot. Thanks for the advice guys

petescheu

Mech E? You're going to hate your life about the time your junior year rolls around... that stuff is painful.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
MIDNJAC said:
Right on, yeah I'm not too worried about the ASTB from what I've heard from other guys at my unit, but I guess worrying about grades and everything else isn't gonna get me a pilot slot. Thanks for the advice guys

It's not that difficult. The best advice (in my opinio) for taking the ASTB is to wait until after you've taken a semester of Navigation and after a semester of Calculus based physics, specifically the mechanical stuff. A few physics questions can creep in there, and having the class already helped me a ton. Same goes for the Nav, I think my peers that took the ASTB without having taken Nav at all had a much tougher time and in general scored lower on the exam. Just my thoughts :icon_smil

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Are you talking ship navigation or aircraft? I'm pretty experienced with most types of civilian aircraft navigation, but I don't know much about ship navigation and LORAN-C and all that stuff.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
MIDNJAC said:
Are you talking ship navigation or aircraft? I'm pretty experienced with most types of civilian aircraft navigation, but I don't know much about ship navigation and LORAN-C and all that stuff.

I'm talking about the ship navigation that is taught by the NROTC staff. I found it to be a great help on the ASTB. This is because there are many questions based on nautical terms and concepts! I'm sure a good knowledge of aircraft nav would be a great help as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.