• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
Yeah, Noze is right, there are a lot of just simple questions that should be gimme's but sort of sneak up on you and you spend more time on them then you should. Get the Spatial part down cold too, that will help your score a lot. I think that is where most people either make or break themselves.

ACurry

Thank God for Kidney Stone Medical Waivers
Just so you know LORAN-C is used by pilots too....its called a ADF for NDB approaches. I got selected for SNA witha 2.7 GPA and 5-6-7-44 ASTB and my major is Aviation Mngt. which is a Bus. Mngt degree. I do have a resonable amount of flight experiance with about 150 hours and a private/instrument rating. Good luck to all those still waiting on selection, I guess my unit still has a lot of people waiting.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
LORAN-C is used in aviation but generally only for long range oceanic flights. It however is not the same as the NDB/ADF system. Both use low frequency signals, and both are being phased out in aviation, but they are two completely different navigation systems. The ADF is a very simple system which uses a needle that always points to the physical direction of the selected NDB. Using this information and the aircraft's heading, the pilot can determine the heading to the NDB. If you've flown these approaches before, I'm sure you'll know this is why they can be so tricky in certain situations.

LORAN-C (although I've only messed around with it once or twice-hence my lack of knowledge/experience with it) on the other hand, will give the pilot his/her latitude and longitude information pertaining to the flight's selected waypoints and does not involve an ADF or NDB; it does use a computer to process the information being transmitted, its own cockpit display (which isn't an ADF), and it functions on the principle of triangulation. LORAN-C is more like GPS without the level of accuracy or user-friendliness of GPS. There is no such thing as a LORAN approach (it is an RNAV system only), and it is not used in any way during an NDB approach. Not to sound like a know-it-all or anything..... :icon_wink

do you know if your flight experience helped you in getting your acceptance? I've heard lots of different things about this so I was wondering...

snizo

Supply Officer
flight experience accounts for about 0% of acceptance rates

it would probably help you during your training as a pilot, but it will not get you in the door...

WannaBEaP3gal

From what I've noticed as far as service selection goes, as a midshipman, SNA is pretty easy to get... so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Surviving flight school is gonna be the hard part...

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Yeah, I got a pilot spot last year and I had a 2.67 GPA in History and got a 7-7-6 on the ASTB...go figure. But one of my classmates with a higher GPA got SNFO. Who knows.

ACurry

Thank God for Kidney Stone Medical Waivers
I don't understand the method to their maddness, all I know is I'm happy I got my first pick for SNA.

I'm not to sure about the NDB/ADF giving you long/lat info. the only time I used it was for approaches on which I wanted to kill myself. Also, we only had the instrument guage onboard and nothing else that was fancy like GPS, so I wouldn't really know.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
I wouldn't say that SNA is easy to get out of NROTC. Each year it is very competitive and a lot of people aren't as lucky as I am and have to settle for their second or third choices. It is something to keep an eye on, but like we said before you can't predict what the selection is going to be like. I heard that this year (05) was going to be very bad for SNA selection and it seems almost everyone I talked to made it. Two years ago it was not the case.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I guess I'm too wordy sometimes, but I meant that the LORAN gives you lat/long info, which is one of the major differences between the LORAN-C system, and the seperate ADF/NDB system which only gives you the direction to the non-directional beacon. My point was that they are not the same thing, and that LORAN is not used when making an NDB approach. Assuming you could get a reliable LORAN signal, I guess you could use it to back up the approach guidance that you are recieving from the ADF, but LORAN is not an approved part of any type of approach.

does anyone know why some people get SNA while others get NFO? is it mostly a vision issue?

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
I am pretty sure everyone got what they wanted, which kicks ass. I know for sure that Lo got SEALS, Ed and I got aviation, probably Picken got it, Calvert and McCaleb too I think. For SNA that is. I am not sure on all the others though. How is your break?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's great about service selection! Break's been going pretty well, don't feel like going back and actually being productive. I imagine yours has been going pretty well considering the great news about SNA.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
Oh yeah, I am looking forward to going back and finishing up. I have to take like 22 hours next semester, damn Naval Science. I look forward to being stashed at the unit for awhile and doing next to nothing for the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.