• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

News claiming Turkish F-4 shot down by Syrian AD

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It's bad form to post a link here with no comments or questions.

MasterBates

Wonder what the Turkish response will be. Turks generally don't take shit.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

jmcquate

Contributor
The Syrians addmitted that it was a F-up. No harm no foul, The mighty NATO forces will not be mobilized......and the Syrians can resume the slaughter of thier people.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For me, it raises the question, what would we do if it was an F-16 or F-18 of ours that got bagged? Regardless of being intentional or not.

It is an act or war, normally.

Lots of behind the scenes maneuvering and questions being asked, I imagine.

Remember the USS Liberty?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It all depends on whether or not we needed an excuse in the first place. If countries are looking for a reason anyway, such an incident will do. If not, it won't do it in and of itself.

These things happen. Iran is short an airliner full of people on account of us, for example.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Act of war on whose part though? If (an assumption at this point) Syria shot down a Turkish aircraft in Syrian airspace, then who is the one committing the act of war? Not justifying the Syrian action, but they do, in principle, have the right to defend their sovereign territory.

dtxz

Looks Lost
pilot
Sorry for launching the link without comment; not sure I had anything smart to say about it.

I think it's an indication of how sensitive the Syrian defense is right now. In other words, it looks like they don't plan on spending too much time trying to identify aircraft before firing. Within the time window it takes to make a shoot/don't shoot decision for an overflying jet, I can't imagine it went too far up the CoC before the missile went up. It appears like the trigger guys had orders along the lines of, "if you see anything come over that horizon, kill it."

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess the "AD" in your thread title meant Air Defense? When I first saw the title, I thought "Hot damn, that ol' geezer Skyraider done bagged another jet"!;)
BzB

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Is that what anyone seriously thinks we should do? Mobilize NATO?

Hopefully not, but on BBC today there was an article stating the Turks were requesting a NATO meeting in response to the "Syrian situation". Though overall it looks like they were taking great pains not to let this escalate a few days ago. Now, there were some tougher words being spoken by PM Gul the past day or two. Communication might be breaking down between the two countries over the weekend.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hopefully not, but on BBC today there was an article stating the Turks were requesting a NATO meeting in response to the "Syrian situation". Though overall it looks like they were taking great pains not to let this escalate a few days ago. Now, there were some tougher words being spoken by PM Gul the past day or two. Communication might be breaking down between the two countries over the weekend.
Yeah, it's been interesting to watch some of the buffoons in the media implying that there's some kind of automatic trigger for Art. 5. WRT to Art 5, it's hard to see how this fighter shoot down would satisfy the requirements, as Turkey itself wasn't attacked. If anything, Art 5 would be much more relevant in the border security issues with Syria. I suspect the NATO meeting will just be to keep all the players informed, not for Turkey to request NATO assistance. I would imagine that such a request would come with an enornous amount of pushback from other member states.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Sorry for launching the link without comment; not sure I had anything smart to say about it.

I think it's an indication of how sensitive the Syrian defense is right now. In other words, it looks like they don't plan on spending too much time trying to identify aircraft before firing. Within the time window it takes to make a shoot/don't shoot decision for an overflying jet, I can't imagine it went too far up the CoC before the missile went up. It appears like the trigger guys had orders along the lines of, "if you see anything come over that horizon, kill it."

Not that I'm trying to defend Syrian Air Defense...but...

The Turkish jet was shot down with AAA which says to me that it was waaaay inside Syrian airspace. Also, if you were the Syrian regime right now, wouldn't you be a bit sensitive to unidentified, fighter sized aircraft in your airspace?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Not that I'm trying to defend Syrian Air Defense...but...

The Turkish jet was shot down with AAA which says to me that it was waaaay inside Syrian airspace. Also, if you were the Syrian regime right now, wouldn't you be a bit sensitive to unidentified, fighter sized aircraft in your airspace?

It went down in the Med. The Syrians had a Colonel defect with a Mig-21 to Jordan last week and I'm betting that a TINS message went to all the AD sectors that said, "this better not happen on your watch". Next thing you know a Turkish F-4 gets bagged being mistaken for an egressing defector.

All you guys that have operated in that thin slot of airspace between Syria and Cyrus know that all it takes is a slightly AFU Nav solution and you're in one countries airspace or the other. Combine that with an SA-6 operator who had a virtual 9mm at his head and here's what you get.