• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

News claiming Turkish F-4 shot down by Syrian AD

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
It went down in the Med.

Combine that with an SA-6 operator who had a virtual 9mm at his head and here's what you get.

Yes, it did...and all reports I've seen are that it was shot down with AAA...

Probably are right about the "heightened defense posture".

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It can still have been engaged over Syrian airspace, then impact in the Med. If it was AAA (as Syria has claimed in the media), then it pretty much has to have been engaged over Syria.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
It can still have been engaged over Syrian airspace, then impact in the Med. If it was AAA (as Syria has claimed in the media), then it pretty much has to have been engaged over Syria.

True - I've not heard what did the actual bagging but I can't picture what would would be important that the Turks would send an RF-4 to go take a look-see. FWIW the Syrians are falling all over themselves apologizing so I'm going to stick with a FU tight now but happy to correct myself if it proves otherwise.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
True - I've not heard what did the actual bagging but I can't picture what would would be important that the Turks would send an RF-4 to go take a look-see. FWIW the Syrians are falling all over themselves apologizing so I'm going to stick with a FU tight now but happy to correct myself if it proves otherwise.
I think your defecting aircraft theory is actually plausible, but it's hard to make assumptions without knowing exactly how it went down and whether the F-4 was outbound or not.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot