• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to Pilot

bobcat2006

Hello, I just got picked up as an NFO in the BDCP program and I'm pumped just to have this chance at becoming an naval officer. My first choice was SNA and my recruiter was telling me that NFOs can transfer to become NAs after a tour or some length of time and have a better chance of getting into pilot training than other people who are waiting. Is this true/common/possible? Any thoughts about this and/or being an NFO would be well appreciated.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sadly, a very, very small percentage get NFO to pilot transition. That's if it's still available any more.

You have the best chance of being an SNA if you apply for SNA and get it.

I would accept your role as an NFO and do the best you can.
:)

Powerleverlock

I was an E-2 NFO that did one of the first NFO to Pilot transitions back in 2002. It is possible to do this transition, but be aware you will have to complete NFO flight school and usually complete the entire first tour with a high fitrep. This will take almost five years. They only accept a handful of people each year. Also don't expect to be eligible for any bonus since you will give that up as well. I can tell you it is a MUCH better life as a pilot and a lot more fun in my opinion, however, being an NFO is a lot better than anything else and not a bad deal. Going through the training command can be a pain while all your other friends are having fun on their shore tour and buying houses, raising family, etc. Try to get SNA first if you can.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is another way. IF you finish API in the top 5% (read finish #1 or #2), you can request PILOT if you are physically qualified.

One of my students just did it. He had PRK in the NROTC and during his flight physical they told him he wasn't PQ for pilot slot, so he commissioned as an NFO. When he showed up to NAMI, they told him his eyes were good-to-go, so he studied EXTREMELY hard and finished #1 and got his transition to a PILOT slot right after API.

ea6bflyr

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Explain please.

Lets see...ride in the TUBE of an E-2 or ride in the front (Remember he was an E-2 guy). Hands down, I'd always chose to ride in a seat with a view (& I do in the Prowler as you did in the Tomcat).

ea6bflyr

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I was an E-2 NFO that did one of the first NFO to Pilot transitions back in 2002......
HUH??? You must be typing in code .... or I'm not understanding. Maybe E-2 specific ??? The Navy has ALWAYS had aircrewmen (some periods even including enlisted aircrew) who transitioned to Aviator and vice versa .... it sure as heck didn't start in '02 ..... :) ... it started waaaaaaaa-a-a-a-ay before the acronymn "NFO" was even on the horizon.

Powerleverlock

In response to A4, I'm not in the first group of NFO to pilot transitions that ever occurred. They were doing that a long time ago(I knew an A-6 NFO that did the transition), but the program was discontinued for several years. In MAY/JUNE 2001 the navadmin came out reestablishing the program and the guidelines for the board. Shortly afterwards I had my PRK, applied, and was accepted. I had to finish an extended cruise, but eventually got back to the training command.
As for my response to being a pilot and how much more fun I had I can only say that it was in MY OPINION only. Flying planes is what I always wanted to do and it is far better FOR ME than sitting in a dark tube doing AEW or launching on an alert for COMM RELAY. I'll admit the E-2 NFO job carried a lot of responsibility and I'm better off for it, but it was a thankless job in MY OPINION and not very much fun. Hope that clears things up.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lets see...ride in the TUBE of an E-2 or ride in the front (Remember he was an E-2 guy). Hands down, I'd always chose to ride in a seat with a view (& I do in the Prowler as you did in the Tomcat).

ea6bflyr

Yes, I could see that aspect of the E-2C NFO vs pilot argument wrt QOL.

But beyond that it's the same staterooms, racks, r/r chairs, liberty in port (unless you're a blind pig f***er :icon_rage as they don't stand SDO)...blah, blah, blah...

So I guess how happy you were depends on the job's window. Well that said, I loved my job.:D Never intended to be a pilot and never wished I had.

In any case Bobcat, good luck in flight school. Wish you well. :icon_smil

Cheers,
G

E6286

OCC 191 Select
The negative opinions of NFOs on here lately are starting to get to me. I am a OCC 191 NFO contract select for the Marine Corps and I originally wanted pilot. I let my OSO sell me on applying for NFO instead and now I am angry that I did so bc I am certain I would have gotten the same preselection for 191 for SNA based on talking to my OSO, however, its too late now. What's done is done so I am trying to psych myself up with the thought of being an NFO but its becoming more and more difficult. Its to the point where I would even consider dropping my air contract for ground should the opportunity arise at TBS (should I make it through OCS).

Someone please help me get stoked again for NFO!

FLY_USMC

pilot
Your guaranteed to fly in an EA-6B or an F/A-18......that should stroke you ego enough....besides....you'll be a Marine.

ip568

None
B*llsh*t!

I can tell you it is a MUCH better life as a pilot

What unadulterated bull****! Aviators and NFOs lead exactly the same life in a squadron -- same flight time, same missions, same destinations, same ground jobs, same collaterals, same everything. They lead exactly the same life as department heads. They lead the same life except which seat they sit in on an aircraft.

This post makes me seriously wonder if you are even in the Navy. I notice your profile is blank.

ip568

None
No...

... I'm being precise. He said "it is a MUCH better life as a pilot." It's not. It's the same life.

Now, if he had said, "I liked being an pilot more than being an NFO," that would simply be his opinion.

(BTW, I'm also an ATP/CFI)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Actually, he said "I can tell you it is a MUCH better life as a pilot and a lot more fun in my opinion"