• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO VT Classroom Training

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
There have been plenty of info on the flights in primary through advanced, but is there any good info on the classroom instruction we will receive before the flights? I am sure the classroom is the place we will first see the information before we go flying. Also, what should we pay close, particular attention to? Any info is awesome but a general overview is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

WannaBEaP3gal

First of all you got at least a 6 week wait on your hands after API for navy nfos. You'll be in the classroom for 3 weeks before you go flight side, they'll tell you most of what you need to know. While you are waiting for 6 weeks, the hour that you have to muster for is all the studying you'll ever need to be doing before you start. I studied the EPs and that's about it. But if I could do all that useless wait time all over again (and this is just me cause I am a nerd)... I would read the Contact FTI book and skim over the NATOPS, and maybe hop in the static trainers to get aquainted with the cockpit.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
I can tell you about primary phase, maybe someone more senior can add intermediate and advanced.

Pre-Contacts you have Metro, Systems, and NATOPs. These classes are taught by insturctors with supplemental info given via computer-based lessons. Although the computer lessons are optional, I recommend you go through them. Overall, these classes are easier than API. The goal of the contact stage is to memorize and execute procedures.

After Contacts you have FLIP, Comm/Binav, and Flight planning. This time, only the FLIP class has the computer-based lessons. The FLIP test is open book so you just need to know where to look for certain information (approach plates, GP, enroute supp, etc.) Comm/Binav and Flight planning use the 2B47 computers to teach instruments; basically you sit at a keyboard with the T-6 instrument panel as the screen and you type what you want the pilot to do while you fly your route and approaches. Your instructor (as well as the rest of the class) is on the ICS to tell you when you've screwed up.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
Cool, this is the info I have been looking for. How is the bf there Icewoman and of course your cute little puppy?

WannaBEaP3gal

Both are great!! The pup is a little distracting though when it comes to studying... all she does is stare at me all night while I study, wondering why I can't play with her like I used to.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Yeah, go over to the sim building and hop in the CPTs if you can. Bring your checklists with you and start familiarizing yourself with where everything is. There's nothing worse (well, in all actuality there is, but for sake of arguement...) than sitting in that cockpit sweating your a$$ off and freaking out because you can't find where the next switch is on your checklist. A little hint...it goes back left to forward, across, front right to back...kinda like a big U. It'll make more sense when you get in there and see it.

Oh yeah...keep this little gem in the back of your mind for when you get to instrument ground school. Do yourself a favor and plan as many of the stereo routes out as much as you can before you actually go flight side. Sucks to have exactly 12 hours between debrief and show time for the next brief and have to plan an out and in (along with the alternates) and study the discuss items and your approaches. Sucks even worse if you do all that planning for standby and you end up not flying. Not that I would know, though. ;)

kaiger

USAF WSO
Do any of you know if there is a delay for AF WSOs from API to Primary? I know we got into API a lot sooner than NFOs in similar situations.
thanks

WannaBEaP3gal

There is no wait really for you guys... Primary classes up a new class every 2 weeks, If you happen to graduate API and a new class starts Monday, plan on starting then. But if you graduate API when there isn't a new class starting the next Monday, you'll get a week off.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
Are they pretty cool about letting you take leave when you first get there over the weekend? I have a wedding to go to the following weekend after finishing API. Unfortunately the wedding is not around the corner from here. Need to fly there to save time. Also, should I try to inform them and put in a leave chit before reporting to the wing?

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
VT-10? Me? Nope. I'm just slow and stupid, so it takes me for friggin' ever to plan a route. Don't ya hear the might Warbuck battle cry in my posts? QUACK, QUACK, Mofo!

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
IceWoman...I am sure you remember we never really needed to take leave while at JU. Also, I appreciate your help with my questions. Seriously. Thank you!!! What Squadron are you in now?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
hornetframer said:
I am sure the classroom is the place we will first see the information before we go flying. Also, what should we pay close, particular attention to?

You're sure? Heh... often caught me by surprise ;)

Three things you should always know before every flight

1- Boldface and ops limits
2- Procedures for what you're doing (in primary, that could be 'how to get into a spin'... in advanced, it'll be the entire intercept timeline from 'fight's on' to 'Fox-2, terminate')
3- Anything under discussion items for the flight in the MCG.

Don't stress too much over academics. It's only worth like 10% of your grade, so you tell me... what's the difference between an 86% and a 94% on any one test?

As far as the preparation you'll get in class, it'll vary widely from one phase to the next. On one extreme, you have primary instruments... a month of ground school complete with lots of time in the sim with your instructors and ad nauseum discussion of every procedure.

On the other, you get intermediate form ground school... a 2-hour whirlwind lecture which will leave you saying "uhhh... what?" Onus is, and always will be, on you to learn the material on your own. In advanced, I didn't go into a single new phase without observing a brief and a sim/flight first... ground school itself just isn't enough.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
That is some good gouge. Thank you for telling me to not think I will see all I need to know in the classroom first. I would have started out on the wrong foot with that thinking.