• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No more black steel toed boots

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Now if you guys can get the white reflective tape OFF your helmets.

But it's SHINY, damnit! It gives us USMC STUDs something to stare vacantly at. Why do you think we put the cammie covers over them out in the real world? Otherwise, we'd all be staring at the shiny white helmets.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now if you guys can get the white reflective tape OFF your helmets.

You don't think that has a valid purpose if a guy does down at sea? I know with just a little bit of light at night I've seen someone's helmet way across the flight line. Stuff works!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
I think he was speeking more if you had to use your E and E skills. That tape could easily ruin your day, but then again, you could just take the hemlet off once you hit the ground.

Or wear a cover for it, like the Marines do.

I know if I go down in the shark infested Gulf or the hypothermic waters of the Atlantic, I want to be seen as SOON AS POSSIBLE.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Didn't somebody post on here, that they talked to a helmet rep that said the surface of the helmets is more reflective than the white relective tape we put on them, even though the surface is dark green compared to white?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Didn't somebody post on here, that they talked to a helmet rep that said the surface of the helmets is more reflective than the white relective tape we put on them, even though the surface is dark green compared to white?

And during the day the white on a blue background is still easier to see than green...

ip568

None
The steel toe is to protect you when you drop a weapon on your foot while loading it. In the P-3, specifically, to protect you from getting your foot squashed when you are loading officer and AOAA Shmedrick drops the Mk 46 torp he is trying to load into the bomb bay...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The steel toe is to protect you when you drop a weapon on your foot while loading it. In the P-3, specifically, to protect you from getting your foot squashed when you are loading officer and AOAA Shmedrick drops the Mk 46 torp he is trying to load into the bomb bay...
Loading torps? Of course...a child could do it.

Brett

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

I got to respond to this - GENTEX did a huge amount of research on the HGU-84/P series helmet for the Navy/Marine Corps. The green flat paint that is chemically bonded to the helme (not just painted) went through painstaking development - and I guess it is quite visable under NVG or FLIR equipment. The NAVAIR instructios never got modified and PR's insisted on applying white tape all over the things - thus ruining the light-weight and low visibility features of the thing.

Now interesting - the Coast Guard does NOT put 100% white reflective tape 0 their helmets ave a blue paint with IR reflective and visually reflective chips in it - works very very well.
sph-5cg.jpg

It's another instance of the nav insisting they know more than the contractor on a subject. GENTEX is the world leader in aircrew helmets...

Interesting point 2 - USN/USMC almost got the Alpha helmet until someone at GENTEX protested because it was made in the UK..

HGU-84/P
84p.jpg

The superior ALPHA

alpha400.jpg

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Chuck, what makes the alpha superior?

I made nice with the civilian PRs here when I checked in, and they subsequently told me that they'd have my zetaliner and sof-seals waiting for me when I "developed hot spots". It's good to be the king. But NOT the Burger King--That SOB is terrifying...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey cool ChuckMk23. That's why I asked, thanks for the information.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Chuck, what makes the alpha superior?

Well first off - it's light, and strong. The shape sits higher but overall has a lower profile.

Allows your bean to stay cooler..

More eugged visor system

Better balanced for use with ANVIS

The AF is adopting it as their standard aircrew helmet - jets for starters - as the HGU-86/P - they should start issuing them in 2007. AF believed it was a better design than the HGU-55 that they had been using for the last 20 years (and the Navy just adopted).

hgu86%20mbu-22%2001.jpg

Qoute from manufacturer:

With a nominal weight of only two lbs (980g) the helmet's epoxy resin aramid carbon fibre shell offers high levels of protection in a range of applications including multi-function helicopter operations, use by police and emergency services, forestry and crop spraying organisations.

The wearer comfort of the Alpha 900 is enhanced by its EPS inner liner and a cushioned cloth interior--designed to inhibit the formation of moisture, improving hygiene and reducing thermal heat load.

Adjustable ear-cups provide excellent passive noise attenuation for protection against the potentially damaging low frequency noise levels experienced by helicopter aircrews.

In common with the manufacturer's proven modular based Alpha configuration, the basic helmet can be adapted to meet different operational requirements using a wide of equipment and options.

These include single or double visors with clear or tinted screens, a choice of semi-rigid or NVG compatible visor covers, ANR (Active Noise Reduction) and a choice of boom microphones with compatibility for most on-board communications.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Thanks, Chuck. It looks like a pretty solid piece of gear, so it's no wonder we don't get to play with it. The visor system looks a lot better than that elastic crap we've got on ours. Just par for the course, I guess.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of active noise reduction, though. The armor and LAV guys have Bose ANR in their headsets, and they have trouble with it on occasion.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Thanks, Chuck. It looks like a pretty solid piece of gear, so it's no wonder we don't get to play with it. The visor system looks a lot better than that elastic crap we've got on ours. Just par for the course, I guess.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of active noise reduction, though. The armor and LAV guys have Bose ANR in their headsets, and they have trouble with it on occasion.

We had ANR installed in our EMS BK-117's for the medical crew only - the system was more trouble than it was worth.

Me - I'll take my David Clark H-10.13.4's anytime !!!

New10-13.4.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yup, those 13.4s are nice gear. The issue w/ the ANR stuff is that it gets fried at the boat, even on non-SPY ships. One issue I see w/ those Alphas is the visor hinge point. Obviously I don't have it in my hands to look at, but in the pic, it looks like it could crack or snap when it's not being used (like something banging into it). It may be better designed than that in real life. A better balanced helmet for NVGs would be a welcome thing for my long head. I'm right in between sizes w/ the Gentexeses.

Interesting info on the helmets, Chuck. I wondered why the CG didn't have white, especially when they're in the life saving business. My only concern would be what if you aren't aided when you're looking for that guy. It does happen, like at dusk.