• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No thumbdrive?!? How do I get any work done?

exhelodrvr

pilot
Here's a sailor hard at work on his work station terminal during our 1986 Med cruise.

Speaking as a former schedules officer, it was a lot simpler/much less time consuming getting flight schedules out in the days of the typewriter. My first job in my first squadron - we got "word processors" about a month or so after I started. Suddenly we were in the publishing business.

CO: Fuel load for the second flight is one character too far to the right. FIx that, then I'll sign it.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Just got myself an external hard drive on "Black Friday." Actually my spousal unit finally did something useful and went to the store. $80 for 250GB. Problem solved, suckas! I'm like the crackhead back on the rock!

Fail... Unless you want to donate it to the Navy.
Non-Navy devices = no-no.

Call your ISO/ADPO and make them order you one if its "mission critical".

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

Non-Navy devices are illegal according to the new policy, or in general? If you mean in general, then every single pilot I know has been violating for years with the recently banned thumbdrives. If you mean on the new policy, the message traffic we got only bans flash-based memory (thumbdrives, SANdisks, etc). I'm not arguing, just want clarification of the non-Navy device rule you're citing, i.e. the reference.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Non-Navy devices are illegal according to the new policy, or in general? If you mean in general, then every single pilot I know has been violating for years with the recently banned thumbdrives. If you mean on the new policy, the message traffic we got only bans flash-based memory (thumbdrives, SANdisks, etc). I'm not arguing, just want clarification of the non-Navy device rule you're citing, i.e. the reference.

For what it's worth, my OpsO (who owns the ITs right now) said he thought floppy drives were legal but flash and external hard drives were not. Might be a Navy thing or he could just be wrong, but I'd ask your command nerd herd.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

It's like the speed limit on base, unless the cops are there enforcing it, NO ONE pays any attention.

Until they disable the USB ports on ALL DoD computers, people will still use personal storage media to include HDD and Thumb Drives.

-ea6bflyr ;)

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
@Phrog - check your PMs, I shot you a line regarding where to get the references.

@ea6bflyr, et al.

Point taken. The rule has never been enforced but the end result of the outright panic going on at NNWC/DISA/Etc is that the crackdown is in-progress. Even if we get thumbdrives back, which I think will eventually happen, personal gear is going to be a problem. Commands will ultimately need to provide the devices to users.

They won't have to disable the ports either (too complicated given other usb devices around like keyboards, mice, printers, etc)... they'll just do an audit of the log files at some point, see your username with the drive connected, and impose some sort of ridiculous restriction - IE lock your account for a month, take your computer, disable your network port, take away your birthday, etc. Eventually this will be automated and your computer will simply blow up and die when you hook up your drive.

"They" do not care that the network exists to serve end users, who need these devices to do their jobs. In their view the end users are all drooling idiots who can't be trusted... in fact the only people they seem to hate more are the unit level IP Officers.

Its going to get worse before it gets better.

exo

I haven't read through this whole thread, so this may be out of context, but Bluetooth is an extremely non-secure wireless transmission.

exo

I really don't have enough knowledge to comment on that. I want to say no, because wireless transmissions are inherently easy to interfere with, but I am by no means an electrical engineer/security expert.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about some bluetooth technology to solve this problem.
Anyone think this might work?

The issue is with the Flash-based drives, not the means by which the drive interfaces with the PC. And oh BTW, we're not going to be using "wireless" anything on the GENSER and above media.

Brett

phrogpilot73

And oh BTW, we're not going to be using "wireless" anything on the GENSER and above media.
Not entirely true. NSA has certified a wireless version of SIPR, I've seen it in action myself. Don't know the details, and even if I did - we couldn't discuss it here.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not entirely true. NSA has certified a wireless version of SIPR, I've seen it in action myself. Don't know the details, and even if I did - we couldn't discuss it here.

Yeah, but we're not going to see that in the fleet - that's my point.

Brett