• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No Visible Means of Support

snocone

pilot
HAL-3, the Seawolves, was one of the Navy's most active, aggressive, and heavily decorated squadrons in Viet Nam. An awful lot of river boat crews and SEALs owe their lives to them. We worked a lot of targets with them, and I was always impressed with their courage and their performance.

I would safely guess that they had more Navy Crosses, DFC's, and Air Medals than any other squadron.

My Dad was in HAL-3.
The last sentence you wrote is very true - and I didn't realize the truth in it until I asked my Dad to wear his uniform for my wedding last year. After Vietnam, he came back to the HT's, and then switched to the Marines since the Navy let go of the Attack Helo mission. We have a number of guys in various squadrons in our airwing who have 2, 3, 4 or even 5-6 air medals. Dad had 19. (might have been more). 500+ combat missions in a 1 year tour - I recently took a look at his logbook..... DFC's, Purple Heart, Bronze Star, Silver Star - all things I didn't know he had - he never mentioned it and doesn't wear it on his chest, (i.e. doesn't talk to others about his accomplishments).
It was impressive and I was proud - maybe almost as proud as he was of me finally getting married!

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My Dad was in HAL-3...

HAL-3??? 'Nuff said!!!!!!!

Those guys (HAL-3, and also VAL-4) were almost mythical to the rest of the Navy of that period - their actions so absolutely incredible!
And no, the few I knew never talked about it either.

BZ to you both! And thank your dad. ;)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have Navy helo's ever fired shots in anger?
Sorry, late to the thread. And I have responded with HAL-3's incredible close combat and dangerous operations. But I should also mention HC-7.

HC-7 was a nomadic SAR squadron that roamed from aircraft carrier to carrier. But they always had the most dangerous mission of their temporary air-wings - that of SAR in enemy territory.

These old 'helo-drivers' have an excellent website. Below is a link showing by name their many real and well-deserved awards, including the Medal of Honor. Just click on the 'big' medals and read their unheralded stories. (and these are understated award citations, rather than those inflated ones of later years.) They took some heavy fire deep in Indian country, and they returned it, big time. Yeah!)
http://www.hc7seadevils.org/PersonalDecorations.htm

These guys are pack'n, and so was their helo………
hc7ax6.jpg

snocone

pilot
....And I have responded with HAL-3's incredible close combat and dangerous operations. ....

I think one of those "war stories" is when my Dad was shot down. He showed it to me back when it was written - apparently someone is putting together a book to publish, (or might have already).
Part of me would have loved to be part of that, and the other, more sane part, is glad that my platforms are much safer and I won't be exposed to the same level of danger they did.
Balls of Steel indeed.....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....I should also mention HC-7.

HC-7 was a nomadic SAR squadron that roamed from aircraft carrier to carrier. But they always had the most dangerous mission of their temporary air-wings - that of SAR in enemy territory.

These old 'helo-drivers' have an excellent website. Below is a link showing by name their many real and well-deserved awards, including the Medal of Honor.

Here's a good USN picture of Lt Clyde Lassen (MOH winner) -- in the cockpit -- and some of the boys loaded for bear and goin' huntin' for tigers.

lassenuo4.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
We had one guy in a Reserve unit in Dallas -- former helo driver who operated off small boys @ Yankee Station -- I cannot remember what squadron or det -- and when I knew him he had 5 rows of ribbons (with no inflated medal creep) , including a couple of the really "big" ones -- but only made LCDR. And that was it .... that's how he retired, I heard later.

He was always quite closed mouthed about his Vietnam time, but we got to talking about it one fine day at the O'Club bar after the drill day had ended ... and this is what he allowed:

He went into Haiphong to pick up a USN driver who had ejected/parachuted into the harbor -- the helo was taking fire on the approach from 360 degrees of arc -- everything that could shoot was shooting at them -- when his intended pick-up landed @ 300 yards from an "East Block" freighter that was in the harbor at anchor.

About a dozen "crew members" proceeded to line the rails with AK's and started shooting at the helo and the downed pilot --- the helo took a few hits -- so my helo friend told his door gunner to "clean 'em off the decks" --- which the door gunner did with much gusto.

Evidently several card-carrying AK shooters went flying around the deck, the bridge, and some went overboard -- dead -- and the helo dropped in, picked up the downed pilot, and booked it -- still taking fire from everywhere -- except from the now silent "Bloc" freighter.

It was a big international stink. As a result, he received a reprimand and something else negative and "official" in his jacket -- and an early out of the area and out of the active duty Navy. He still got his medals -- but never the recognition he deserved for his heroism.

I still maintain the Navy eats its own ... when it suits the Navy's purposes ...