• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No Yoke? A-380 360deg Cockpit Camera

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Do the Brits drive on the wrong side of the aircraft? (Or, Why is the Captain's stick for his left hand?)

Or do you just suck it up and deal?

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
It's a side-stick. (duh :icon_tong) They're not all that uncommon in fly-by-wire aircraft as far as I know.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Do the Brits drive on the wrong side of the aircraft? (Or, Why is the Captain's stick for his left hand?)

Or do you just suck it up and deal?

Well, the throttles are in the middle ... even with a yoke you fly with your left hand from the left seat, right hand for throttle. Opposite on R side. Maybe I am not understanding exactly what you are asking ...

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
An Airbus cockpit is an Airbus cockpit. This is very similar to the A-318,319,320,330 and 340. Of course it's bigger and has the latest upgrades and gadgets (HUD etc.). The side stick (either side) takes about 10 minutes to get used to and even better it allows room for the pull out tray that is stowed just above the foot pedestal. A very nice addition to the A-380 is the Electronic Flight Bag Screen next to the stick. No more paper Jepp charts and revisions!

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Well, the throttles are in the middle ... even with a yoke you fly with your left hand from the left seat, right hand for throttle. Opposite on R side. Maybe I am not understanding exactly what you are asking ...

No, you did. I'm an artard.

I guess I'm just thinking I'd rather have a yolk than a lefty side-stick

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
No, you did. I'm an artard.

I would be willing to bet there is a little artard (sic) in all of us ;)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor

I thought that, too, when I went from the mighty Skyhawk (yoke) to the Cirrus (side stick). It's not as nice as a "real" stick, but I prefer it to the yoke. YMMV.

I'm waiting for someone with a bunch of hours flying the heavies (A4s, maybe?) to weigh in here. The whole yoke vs. side stick debate is something that seems to come up between guys who fly Boeing and guys who fly Airbus. Mainly for the convenience/crew comfort factor that Stalk alluded to.

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
Most of the 'bus cockpits look very similar to the A380. I think the older A300 and A310s had traditional yokes, but once the A320 hit the market, they started going with the fly by wire control sticks. A close friend of mine flies for Jet Blue on their A320 and he has flown 737s for US Air, he prefers the feel of the Boeing over the plastic feel of the Airbus. Pretty sweet looking office though in the A380.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Is that a tail mounted video camera in the center? That's awesome.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
The yoke/stick discussion sometimes gets blurred with the fly-by-wire or conventional flight control discussion. Sticks in commercial jets are usually associated with fly-by-wire. It really comes down to what you are comfortable with and preference. I flew the 757/767 at United and currently fly the 320 at JetBlue. I actually prefer the Airbus but that more than likely has to do with 15+ years of flying fly-by-wire in the hornet.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... A very nice addition to the A-380 is the Electronic Flight Bag Screen next to the stick. No more paper Jepp charts and revisions!
Roger that ... but that's assuming your company will spring for the software and updates ... $$$$. :)

Mine wouldn't ... and we had the option to go that way many years ago.