• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Non-Citizen Naval Aviator

SpeedAngels

Hey guys, my name is Erik and I are from sweden ...
I wonder how difficult it is for a non U.S. citizen to become a Naval Aviator?
I read about one guy from packistan flying A-6.
Is there anyone that have heard about anyone that not was born in the US, that is a naval aviator?
What do you think is the best way for me to take?

Sincerely,

Erik Johansson​

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You must be a US citizen in order to be a commissioned officer. You must be a commissioned officer in order to fly (warrants excepted as they're still working on that program).

I know a Marine Prowler pilot who is Kenyan by birth, but if he wasn't a US citizen he wouldn't have gotten commissioned.

SpeedAngels

You don't want to join the Swedish armed forces? Here are links to their Air Force and Navy.

http://www.mil.se/en/Organisation/The-Swedish-Air-Force/
http://www.mil.se/en/Organisation/The-Royal-Swedish-Navy/

My dad flow the AJ-37 Viggen, about 20 years ago.. But then they flow about 200h a year, now the Airforce dont have any money to fly for. They fly about 40h a every half year, then they fly the simulator and SK-60 for the rest of year. I flown the SK-60 for a couple of times, and im going to fly it more this spring( I think). This bad economical situation did start about 1,5 years ago.

I don´t want to join the U.S navy because of the swedish airforce economical position, more because that I like US alot, and I have friends and relatives there, and I just love the people.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I know a Marine Prowler pilot who is Kenyan by birth, but if he wasn't a US citizen he wouldn't have gotten commissioned.

If that is who I think it is, I was his class advisor during Intermediates.. Small world...

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
Don't you need citizenship to get any sort of security clearance?

Is your goal to get citizenship? If not, then what are your intentions and why should our nation's military accept someone who does not want to be apart of our country?

I am truly curious...

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
You must be a US citizen in order to be a commissioned officer. You must be a commissioned officer in order to fly (warrants excepted as they're still working on that program).

I was under the impression that Warrants are commissioned officers.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
Correct. Only the Army and Marine Corps have WO-1's, and the Air Force no longer has warrant officers at all.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe I'm wrong here, but aren't there no more WO-1's in the Navy?

It wasn't a Navy specific answer.

Correct. Only the Army and Marine Corps have WO-1's, and the Air Force no longer has warrant officers at all.

As PerDiem has already pointed out the Army and USMC still has WO-1's, they are not commisioned officers. And as far as I know the Navy and Air Force are still authorized all Warrant Officer ranks, they just choose not to use some/all of them for their own reasons.

torpedo0126

Don't you need citizenship to get any sort of security clearance?

Is your goal to get citizenship? If not, then what are your intentions and why should our nation's military accept someone who does not want to be apart of our country?

I am truly curious...

I think the security clearance might be the biggest obstacle. After getting your citizenship, you will have to apply for a Secret clearance (all officers must have that). Most likely you will then have to get a Top Secret clearance...thats where I could see a real problem.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Like other said, you have to be US citizen to be a commisioned officer and you have to be a commisioned officer to be a Naval Aviator.

If you are over 18, you have to go through the naturalization process and get a Certificate of Naturalization. If under 18, you can become a citizen if your parent/guardian becomes a naturalized citizen, in which case you get a Certificate of Citizenship.

Security clearance wise, you cannot have dual citizenship (US does not recognize it). You must renounce your Swedish citizenship. However, after that, it is not a big deal as long as you are a US citizen. I am an immigrant, got a Certificate of Citizenship (17 years old) when my mother got naturalized, and have had a high level clearance for almost 15 years. I still have relatives in the old country.

SpeedAngels

Like other said, you have to be US citizen to be a commisioned officer and you have to be a commisioned officer to be a Naval Aviator.

If you are over 18, you have to go through the naturalization process and get a Certificate of Naturalization. If under 18, you can become a citizen if your parent/guardian becomes a naturalized citizen, in which case you get a Certificate of Citizenship.

Security clearance wise, you cannot have dual citizenship (US does not recognize it). You must renounce your Swedish citizenship. However, after that, it is not a big deal as long as you are a US citizen. I am an immigrant, got a Certificate of Citizenship (17 years old) when my mother got naturalized, and have had a high level clearance for almost 15 years. I still have relatives in the old country.

Ok, thx.. Did you have the intentions to become a navy pilot? Do you think the US. Naval Attache can help me ?

//Erik