• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Non-Citizen Naval Aviator

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Ok, thx.. Did you have the intentions to become a navy pilot? Do you think the US. Naval Attache can help me ?

//Erik

I was interested in a military career and was looking at AFROTC. Fortunately, I came to my sense, did college on my own and then was commissioned in the Navy via AOCS.

You could talk to the US Embassy as a start. The issue here is that if you are over 18 (or will be when the process is finished), you have to be naturalized yourself. That usually takes coming to the US, becoming a resident alien (getting a green card) and living in the US for 5 years before applying for citizenship.

My parents had the green card for a long time so the 5 years was not a problem when we decided to apply for citizenship.

Here is some more information:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/B3eng.pdf

Note, non-US citizens can join the US military but you cannot get a commission or a security clearance. Also, you can have dual citizenship but that will probably affect security clearance as well.

Read more here: US Citizenship and Immigration Services

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Obviously, that doesn't mean you can have a security clearance in such a situation.

Also, you can have dual citizenship but that will probably affect security clearance as well.

I talked at length about this with a guy who was a dual citizen before he got a clearance, he is an Irishman from Boston. Enforcement was not always strict in the past but you are not supposed to have dual citizenship with a clearance. You have to renounce your citizenship, not carry a passport and generally not exercise any of the privelages or benefits of a citizenship. But the catch is that not all countries recognize that you are no longer a citizen. The US no longer considers you one, and that is the important part, but some countries still consider you a citizen pretty much no matter what you do.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I talked at length about this with a guy who was a dual citizen before he got a clearance, he is an Irishman from Boston. Enforcement was not always strict in the past but you are not supposed to have dual citizenship with a clearance. You have to renounce your citizenship, not carry a passport and generally not exercise any of the privelages or benefits of a citizenship. But the catch is that not all countries recognize that you are no longer a citizen. The US no longer considers you one, and that is the important part, but some countries still consider you a citizen pretty much no matter what you do.

Actually, I know several people in the exact same situation. However, since there are so many "experts" in this matter on this site (although I am not referring to anyone in this thread), I generally don't bring them up since I can't link to a source.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, I know several people in the exact same situation. However, since there are so many "experts" in this matter on this site (although I am not referring to anyone in this thread), I generally don't bring them up since I can't link to a source.

The thing for people here to take away is that the rule is that you can't be a dual citizen and hold a clearance. Not following the rules will cost you.

Clux4

Banned
I am not sure of how your degree will be evaluated since you did not go to a US accredited school. That might be something else you want to look into.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I am not sure of how your degree will be evaluated since you did not go to a US accredited school. That might be something else you want to look into.

World Education Services (www.wes.org) specializes in "foreign academic credentialing." Basically you send them copies of your transcripts and a nominal fee. In return they create a report stating what your education is equivalent to in the United States. For the most part any four year undergrad degree from a modern country will be summarized in the report along the lines of "Bachelor's degree in xxx from a regionally accredited institution in the United States." The report also states equivalent credit hours and GPA. (Guess how I know this...)

Good gouge, since there are lotsa U.S. military folks (and hopefuls/wannabes) with foreign academic credentials are out there in the woodwork. I figure there are similar apples-to-apples comparisons for other types of diplomas.