• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Norfolk cop killed by Norfolk cop.

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
That is the most poorly written newspaper article I have ever seen. Its links like this that give me hope that one day there will be a journalism job open for me.

Birdman

BOMBSonHAWKEYES said:
That is the most poorly written newspaper article I have ever seen. Its links like this that give me hope that one day there will be a journalism job open for me.

Yes, I was thinking that the article didn't describe the event at all. Just the Mothers reaction to it. It didn't even say WHY the police officer was shot. I assume it's becuase of Officer Conceal Carry. In most states officers are allowed to carry a concealed weapon with them when they are off duty. Most likely becuase the state doesn't want some guy the cop arrested to come and shoot him while he's off duty.

T

TXHusker05

That really is a poorly written article. And then for no particular reason just inserting the racism thing in there. If she didn't think it was racism, then don't put it in there because now everyone else will think it was racism.

“An officer has a duty to use deadly force in order to protect the officer’s life or the life of others from imminent harm,” Doyle said. Officers have to make an on-the-spot decision, he said

Yes he does, but after reading that second article it occurs to me that no one's life was in harm... at all. The guy was with 2 other uniformed cops and the guy just comes to the scene and up and shoots the guy, in the back, from 10 feet away. I am sure he didn't intentionally shoot a police officer, but he needs to lose his job ASAP. Any officer that can't hold his wad two seconds to identify someone, doesn't belong on the force.

Joboy, he didn't have the chance to say I'm a cop, the guy just fired. At first I thought it was some undercover officer that was shot by a uniformed officer because that happens all too often but even then there are ways to ID an undercover officer. Generally they have a color of the day and the undercover officer wears something of that color. But no such luck, the cop was killed for no reason. People will wonder about racial profiling on this though I guarantee it. Plain clothes black guy holding a gun, pointed at someone else and then shot by a white cop in the back. Someone will jump all over that for sure.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Husker, did you real the article? The dead cop was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, and he was asked repeatedly to put his weapon down. It was him and 5 uniformed officers who showed up on scene, allegedly.

Were you there? How can you say no one's life was in danger? If you were in UNIFORM with 4 other cops, and saw a dude in a t-shirt and jeans when you arrived on scene, what would you think was going on? I would think there was danger going on too...

Birdman

DanMav1156 said:
Husker, did you real the article? The dead cop was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, and he was asked repeatedly to put his weapon down. It was him and 5 uniformed officers who showed up on scene, allegedly.

Were you there? How can you say no one's life was in danger? If you were in UNIFORM with 4 other cops, and saw a dude in a t-shirt and jeans when you arrived on scene, what would you think was going on? I would think there was danger going on too...
Yes, but would you immediately shoot him without asking questions?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
TXHusker05 said:
That really is a poorly written article. And then for no particular reason just inserting the racism thing in there. If she didn't think it was racism, then don't put it in there because now everyone else will think it was racism.

Yes he does, but after reading that second article it occurs to me that no one's life was in harm... at all.... I am sure he didn't intentionally shoot a police officer, but he needs to lose his job ASAP. Any officer that can't hold his wad two seconds to identify someone, doesn't belong on the force.

DanMav1156 said:

Reminds me of the vid a few months ago with the cop and the service member, where everyone was trying to crucify the guy without any of the real details (whatever happened to that anyways)... maybe you all need to put the pitchforks down for a while

Just wait and see before you pass judgment...

TXHusker05 said:
...even then there are ways to ID an undercover officer. Generally they have a color of the day and the undercover officer wears something of that color.

Eh, Im going to have to throw the BS flag on this one... I know a lot of people who have done UC work and never has there been any mention of a "color of the day". The idea in itself doesnt make all that much sense- instead of wearing something to fit in, your going to wear a specific color so any cop (or anyone else who has access to the color of the day for that matter)can id you a UC... what happens when your color of the day doesnt fit in with the groups that you are infiltrating, or what happens when one of the targets is wearing the same color....???

I've heard of them using colors of the day for certain protective service details. That makes sense... using them for under cover work doesnt.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
zippy said:
Reminds me of the vid a few months ago with the cop and the service member, where everyone was trying to crucify the guy without any of the real details (whatever happened to that anyways)... maybe you all need to put the pitchforks down for a while.
How did that turn out? I can't find anything on it. :(

T

TXHusker05

DanMav1156 said:

Did you read the article Dan? He was there WITH two uniformed officers already who had obviously ID'ed him as a police officer. The four other cops and the one that shot him came shortly afterward.

Darden was with several uniformed officers who were trying to control a crowd after a shooting that had occurred there earlier Sunday night. Many people were yelling as Darden was shot, witnesses said, and police were using pepper spray.

If I saw a dude in jeans and a tshirt with no uni's around, holding a weapon towards civilians, you are absolutely right I would think he was threatening the lives of other people. But he was there with uniformed officers already when these other officers just showed up and fired. If someone was in imminent danger, don't you think the other uniform officers would have been all over that already?

Five uniformed officers responded. One of the officers saw a man in the crowd in a white T-shirt and blue jeans, holding a handgun. That person turned out to be Seneca Darden. An officer commanded him to drop the gun. The officer then fired at Darden, who was hit “multiple times.”

Darden had his back to him and if you are a cop, you aren't exactly used to people telling you to put the guns down. Plus the other quote mentioned a lot of screaming. You don't just fire on somebody for no reason. Anyone with the slightest amount of training would know better.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
TXHusker, agreed, I wasn't trying to get nasty, sorry it came off that way, but what I was trying to get across was thay we shouldn't just crucify the guy immediately:

but he needs to lose his job ASAP.

Also, just because he was with the officers, doesn't mean he arrived with them. How were the officers, say, allegedly the one who shot him, that arrived after him supposed to ID him.

One of the officers saw a man in the crowd in a white T-shirt and blue jeans, holding a handgun. That person turned out to be Seneca Darden. An officer commanded him to drop the gun.

and

Marquis was asked if the officer who fired ever warned Darden to drop his weapon. “It is initially my understanding that he did that several times,” he said.

All I'm saying is hold your horses and let the investigation happen. Either way, prayers go out to the soul of the officer and his family.

T

TXHusker05

Agreed all the way around, I would just think that an officer that just arrived might hold his horses a bit to understand the situation. The way the article made it seem was that the officer just arrived, drew his weapon and proceeded to tell the officer to drop his weapon and then fired. I would also ask why the officer who allegedly shot him wasn't informed that there was a plain clothes officer there. If there were two uniformed officers there already, seems like they would have reported it.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
Since we've already established that we're working from two crappily constructed articles, maybe we shouldn't base our assumptions on any of the facts in said articles, from the order in which the officers arrived to the number of times he was or was not told to drop his weapon.

Heck, maybe we shouldn't be making assumptions anyway.