• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Norfolk cop killed by Norfolk cop.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Cate said:
Since we've already established that we're working from two crappily constructed articles, maybe we shouldn't base our assumptions on any of the facts in said articles, from the order in which the officers arrived to the number of times he was or was not told to drop his weapon.

Heck, maybe we shouldn't be making assumptions anyway.

Agreed. FACTS? From newspaper articles? Might as well read the funny pages. You can bet Internal Affairs is going to be all over this one. Once they start playing the tapes of the radio calls that were made that night, as well as dissecting any home video camera footage (if there was any), the investigation will start to paint a much clearer picture of what happened that night. Anyway, much better than any newspaper article could portray. I'm not making any assumptions until after this case has been investigated thoroughly. We really don't know what the heck happened that night.

T

TXHusker05

Yea, it is hard to tell what the hell happened in those two articles. One looks like it was written by a 12 year old and the other reads like a novel.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Jenmarie said:
No matter what the circumstances, it's an awful tragedy.

Yes, you are absolutely right. A tragedy indeed. My heart goes out to the officer's family and friends. I'm just saying that we should wait until we have all the facts before we jump to conclusions in this case.

gagirl

I live here in Norfolk and from what they have said the officers had already responded to 2 shots fired calls with 2 people having been shot and sent to the hospital. There is another call and the officers responded to this area. This is all within a block or so. The cops are after someone and that's when the K9 cop came responding to a call for backup. All he sees is a few uniformed officers on the ground with the PLAIN CLOTHES OFFICER pointing a gun at his colleagues. He was not undercover, but a PLAIN CLOTHES OFFICER. (This is what the PD has said). THe K9 officer didn't recognize the PCO. He just saw a guy in jeans and tshirt pointing a gun at other officers. It is still unclear as to what EXACTLY happened after that. Obviously, the cop was shot but they don't know who said what when etc. It was also late at night and there was a crowd of angry people screaming and yelling for some reason so it was complete craziness.
I feel for the family of the officer, but also the officer that realized he had just taken down one of his own. That would be unbearable too. I feel bad for all involved.
I hope some of that made sense. I haven't seen the news today so some more things may have come out. I also don't understand why he didn't say I'm a cop. He did have a badge around his neck. I guess with all the yelling,screamiing,sirens and people it was a crazy scene.

T

TXHusker05

Only thing I can think of was that he wasn't aware of any other police officers behind him from the screaming and thus didn't feel the need. If he had his badge around his neck, he probably wasn't concerned with getting shot by his own.

I know it would be hard for the officer to process everything with his uniformed officers on the ground and the guy standing over them, and I know it is a split second decision but you need to make a strong effort to identify someone that is a real threat.