• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

not quite the Blue Angels, but helo heaven

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I concur..neat stuff. I had no idea that they existed.

I have to say though...that the smoke generators seem uh....not neccessary?

Raptor2216

I'm sure this is one of the many ways for the army to recruit but last I checked, the Army doesn't fly cobras. Why not use the apache...i've seen videos of it doing rolls and loops...the cobra can't do anything like that.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I've heard it said that only cool thing you can do in a helo at an airshow, is ball it up. :(

Did a search and couldn't find this on here anywhere, but here's a shitter doing loops and rolls.

phrogpilot73

I'm sure this is one of the many ways for the army to recruit but last I checked, the Army doesn't fly cobras. Why not use the apache...i've seen videos of it doing rolls and loops...the cobra can't do anything like that.
Actually, the Army reserves do fly Cobras. The reason they wouldn't use an Apache, is that they're a little busy - what with Iraq and Afghanistan...

JMMH

Ugh.
A friend at Red Bull told me about this:

I think it's cooler than the Army stuff, but I'm biased.

MasterBates

Rigid heads are nice..

British Lynx is an awesome bird, and they CAN make rigid heads fold for shipboard use. Plus, less moving parts = lower maintenance..

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm wasted, so forgive me for not googling. The US Army Reserves STILL have Cobras?

Skid?

Lawman

None

Cost for one, an Apache is going to be obscenely more expensive to operate and maintain for something of as low importance as a recruiting tool. Not to mention you dont need all the wizz bang gear of an Apache to fly around and do some neato passes for the crowd in order to make some kids think "I wanna do that someday." So long as its loud, moving, and painted cool people at airshows will watch it and enjoy it.

Plus they still have a few Cobras so its about the same kind of representation that the Navy had when they were using A-4's for the Blues before switching to Hornets when all the A-4's werent out on the boats other then for training purposes.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, the helo saws are a trip to see in action.

I have trimmed trees, but not on purpose. (Bell 204 Tail Rotors are rugged little bastards thank god)

I've never really understood how they prevent it from spinning, but I guess the gyro motive force (or whatever it's called that makes a bicycle wheel stay straight) would help.