• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Now this is the way to fly an H-60 ...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
joboy666 said:
is DA really a big factor on the water? (ie- at sea level)?

Yes, it can be. A high DA at sea level means you are in effect flying at that higher level.

MasterBates

I have seen 5K DA on the water.

Humidity drives up the DA as well. H20 molecules weigh less than the N2 and 02 molecules they displace.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
FWIW, A "Normal" Summer day here at Mayport, has a DA of 1500-2000 feet. That is ~90-95 and 80-90% humidity.

And its not fun either. I was in the pattern for over 2.5 hours on Thursday, definitely one of the hotter days I've flown.

MasterBates

Greg, try 5 hours of Ground Turns on Thursday. NO ECS either. Ducts missing. Big fog in back, but did not make it up the tunnel.

My Copilot (FCP in training) could press on his helmet, and water would squirt out. Unreal. I drank about 8 bottles of Diet Coke and water, and still did not have to piss.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Greg, try 5 hours of Ground Turns on Thursday. NO ECS either. Ducts missing. Big fog in back, but did not make it up the tunnel.

Yeah, ground turns are the absolute worst. Even without ECS, getting the air blowing through the scuppers helps a lot, without it during ground turns is hell.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot

My Copilot (FCP in training) could press on his helmet, and water would squirt out. Unreal. I drank about 8 bottles of Diet Coke and water, and still did not have to piss.

Ouch, you win. It is amazing how you don't have to piss when you're done with a 2+ hour flight after drinking water throughout the flight.

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
hmm, Navy -60 pilot and a college grad working on thermal analysis (mostly on the avionics) for the Hawk programs at Sikorsky, who is trying to figure out if he wants to be in the Navy yet talking about a -60.

I'll take HH's word on this one.

My thoughts are bolded.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
popcorn.jpg