• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Now this looks like a little fun ride in the PC-9

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
What's their reasoning behind keeping an outdated aircraft that continues to have its capabilities limited in an attempt to maintain airframe life? Sooner or later you end up with a more expensive, heavier version of a Bonanza...

Come to think of it, primary would be way more comfortable with a DC headset on, anyways. You'd facilitate IP initiated checklist thrashings way more easily if you were sitting side by side, too.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
What's their reasoning behind keeping an outdated aircraft that continues to have its capabilities limited in an attempt to maintain airframe life? Sooner or later you end up with a more expensive, heavier version of a Bonanza...

Come to think of it, primary would be way more comfortable with a DC headset on, anyways. You'd facilitate IP initiated checklist thrashings way more easily if you were sitting side by side, too.

To much airplane for primary students is the main gripe and everything that goes with that. Too hard to change course rules, too difficult to change the airfield, too difficult to change the syllabus are some of the bitching I've heard.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
nov-10.jpg

Single Seat: If that's a Blackwater a/c, they're mean-looking birds. Unless there's also an OPSec issue here, how in the heck does Blackwater employ them? They're not their own air force, are they? IMHO, the USAF should let the Army buy several dozen of these.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor

But then the IP's wouldn't have any privacy back there to do.....whatever it is they do back there (or up there for RI flights)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Good thing no one told the Air Force studs they were flying too much airplane for their experience level...

Same thing for the guys who flew the T-28 back in the day.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
To much airplane for primary students is the main gripe and everything that goes with that. Too hard to change course rules, too difficult to change the airfield, too difficult to change the syllabus are some of the bitching I've heard.

Well, are they expecting the T-34's to last forever, or Beechcraft to make more of them?

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Single Seat: If that's a Blackwater a/c, they're mean-looking birds. Unless there's also an OPSec issue here, how in the heck does Blackwater employ them? They're not their own air force, are they? IMHO, the USAF should let the Army buy several dozen of these.

No idea, just got that off a Google Images search

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I don't know of a single instructor (in my squadron, anyway) that wants the T-34 to stick around any longer. It serves its purpose well, but it is getting long in the tooth and is VERY power limited when compared to just about any fixed wing aircraft in the current military inventory. I am sick of getting to the top of an immelman and flailing around like a fish turning upright because I am so slow or trying to go over a cloud and ending up punching through it as I watch my airspeed decay. Good riddance.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't know of a single instructor (in my squadron, anyway) that wants the T-34 to stick around any longer. It serves its purpose well, but it is getting long in the tooth and is VERY power limited when compared to just about any fixed wing aircraft in the current military inventory. I am sick of getting to the top of an immelman and flailing around like a fish turning upright because I am so slow or trying to go over a cloud and ending up punching through it as I watch my airspeed decay. Good riddance.

I can name two right off the bat from the squadron I fly with. One is very vocal and got into a self induced huff and puff about it in the ready room one day. I agree with you, the T-34C is underpowered, can't see around the stud is insane, it's old and outdated and it's time for a new trainer. I think some of these guys wish the Navy would just build new T-34C's however. If it were up to them, we would still be flying the Yellow Pearl. Some folks just don't like change.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Single Seat: If that's a Blackwater a/c, they're mean-looking birds. Unless there's also an OPSec issue here, how in the heck does Blackwater employ them? They're not their own air force, are they?

According to the press releases they are for COIN and counter drug ops, with a possible CAS mission later on. Part of the "Blackwater Air Force". Although they talk a big game, word on the Wiki street is they have only purchased very few. I hear they pay pretty well, too. We'll leave it at that.

IMHO, the USAF should let the Army buy several dozen of these.

Didn't we already have this thread? Oh yes, here it is:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137084&highlight=CAS

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The one in the pic is a Brazilian AF bird. I think Blackwater was going to purchase a single example to see if they could employ it but I don't think they have bought more, I haven't heard anything lately. I think that is reaching too much even for them, I don't think they will find customers.