• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC/Aerospace

bkveen

Im going to be going the Georgia Institute of Technology on an NROTC scholarship next year and I have questions regaurding my major. I am currently enrolled in the Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering program at tech. It is ranked second in the nation coming in only behind MIT. The only problem is that it is designed as a five year major. I did joint enrollment my senior year so I have about 20 transfer hours but I will still have to take 5-6 classes a semester 17-20 credit hours to graduate in four years. I know the Navy is looking for technical majors but is it worth that much agony to get the aerospace major or could I fly with a more flexible major?

Thanks,

Bryan P. Kveen

navysoccer18

FNG
pilot
I had several friends at school that were technical majors and required 5 years to graduate. Unless the program has changed recently, you can recieve 5th year scholarship benefits if you are in a technical major. It is true that the Navy has been moving more towards officers with a technical background, but it is my no means a requirement to get a good service selection. Regardless of your major, you will still have to work hard in college to get an aviation selection. If you really want to do Aerospace Engineering, go for it, and sit down with your NROTC advisor to work out your best plan of action for completing the degree.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Im going to be going the Georgia Institute of Technology on an NROTC scholarship next year and I have questions regaurding my major. I am currently enrolled in the Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering program at tech. It is ranked second in the nation coming in only behind MIT. The only problem is that it is designed as a five year major. I did joint enrollment my senior year so I have about 20 transfer hours but I will still have to take 5-6 classes a semester 17-20 credit hours to graduate in four years. I know the Navy is looking for technical majors but is it worth that much agony to get the aerospace major or could I fly with a more flexible major?
Bryan-
So, you want to be a helluva engineer? i might be a tad biased, but i think it's a great school.

anyways, its very possible to be an AE, graduate, get a commission and then fly. Several of my friends did the same thing and they really enjoyed the AE program. However, it's not an easy major (there aren't too many of them at GT...if you're interested in easy; talk to squorch2 :) ). You don't need an AE major to fly, but if its what you want to do, then what the hell, go nuts. And if you happen to need an extra year to get it done, the Navy will pay for it. There's plenty of people who took an extra year to get out of Tech. Nothing wrong with some extra time at school, you won't regret it if happens. Plus, if it doesn't work out, you can always hop on the M-Train.

To Hell With Georgia!

KBayDog

yeah, but he's still a helluva engineer...and rumor has it he drinks his whiskey clear.

Negative - he drinks "helluva" lot of milk:
image052.jpg

ChunksJR Says:
tvt.jpg

bkveen

Thanks, on top of thinking I needed to do it to fly I really wanted to study aerospace. It will be a relief to know I dont have to get it done in four years. Thanks for the help.

beuxbunk

Im going to be going the Georgia Institute of Technology on an NROTC scholarship next year and I have questions regaurding my major. I am currently enrolled in the Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering program at tech. It is ranked second in the nation coming in only behind MIT.

I thought ERAU was #1... cant they decide who is number one already!:confused:

lthackston

I thought ERAU was #1... cant they decide who is number one already!:confused:

ERAU is up at the top for schools that don't have a graduate program along with the Air Force Academy. But, when you include all schools, with and without graduate programs, MIT, GT and Michigan are always at the top.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor

Thanks,

Bryan P. Kveen

YEAH YEAH!!!!

I do drink my whiskey and milk clear. Up with the white and Gold my friend :)

As for 5-yrs...GT is known to be a 5-yr school. Myself and most of the GT mids were Midn 1/c+ for at least an extra semester. The Navy knows this and I don't think I know a single one that was turned down for Fifth Year Benifits...

Now, you may find, like many GT grads that you don't like your major and try and ride the M-train...or miss it and go I EEEEEEEEEEEEE....I did the latter. I started as a Physics major and switched. All the hotties at Tech are either IE or Management....so I enjoyed that major a tad bit more.

Either way...do what you think you'll enjoy and then if you're not enjoying it, try something else. Start in AE...You'll do great.

Oh, and make sure you rush (not necessarily join) the fraternities...attend EVERY home basketball, football and baseball game...and just generally enjoy all of what being a NROTC middie is...

I was a stingerette driver for a year and I bartended in Buckhead for 2...

"Never let your studies interfere with your education..." ~Mark Twain

And with that, my friend, Good luck, Godspeed and TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!

kissarmy5689

question-

say you go through NROTC with a finance degree and want to fly in the navy... how do you sign up for aviation training after college? do they ask you or do you get to pick what you want to do while in the navy? and say my eyesight doesnt meet the requirements- will they let me get eye surgery?