• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC/Aerospace

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
question-

say you go through NROTC with a finance degree and want to fly in the navy... how do you sign up for aviation training after college? do they ask you or do you get to pick what you want to do while in the navy? and say my eyesight doesnt meet the requirements- will they let me get eye surgery?

If you get selected for Naval Aviation, the Navy will give you every bit of aviation training required. There is no need to get any of your own.

Pags

N/A
pilot
question-

say you go through NROTC with a finance degree and want to fly in the navy... how do you sign up for aviation training after college? do they ask you or do you get to pick what you want to do while in the navy? and say my eyesight doesnt meet the requirements- will they let me get eye surgery?

if you go NROTC, sometime early senior year you fill out your service selection card where you communicate to the man what you want to do. its paired up with a bunch of info about you (grades, military aptitude, etc), sent off, and eventually you hear back from Big Navy as to your lot in life. As to PRK, I don't know the specifics of it, but it is an option.

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
ERAU is up at the top for schools that don't have a graduate program along with the Air Force Academy. But, when you include all schools, with and without graduate programs, MIT, GT and Michigan are always at the top.

Don't forget Purdue in that list. Both for AAE and for Engineering in general.

PU Grad

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
AE + ROTC at Tech = 5 years, no bones about it. You'll apply for 5th year benefits your 4th year and get them automatically, assuming you're still an engineer. And yes, Management has most of the hot women, along with the newest building in the newest part of campus. With the recent emphasis on technical majors in ROTC, you might be out of luck if you decide that engineering isn't for you, though.

As for PRK, the Navy doesn't pay for it for ROTC students... you're on your own there. After you sign your life away (first day of your sophomore year), start researching it... the class advisors should have lots of information on it.

Enjoy the trek to O'Keefe, and remember to have fun in college - don't spend every waking moment in the library or in class.

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
Enjoy the trek to O'Keefe, and remember to have fun in college - don't spend every waking moment in the library or in class.

I've seen way too many people take this advice too seriously in their freshman/sophomore years...much to their disadvantage. The first two years in college can affect your options for the rest of your working life. Don't piss it away. The time for fun and games is your last year, after you are established and when you don't even care about school anymore.

At Iowa State, it seemed like about 1/3 of every freshman NROTC class was aero E (ie pre-business). Very few graduate in aero E, and most take severe hits to their GPA because of too much fun in the freshman year. If you want to always have fun in college, pick a major that is compatible with having fun. If you aren't committed to finishing technical degree, don't risk your GPA by starting one.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
The first two years in college can affect your options for the rest of your working life.

BWAH---BWAHHHHHH.

downer.jpg

Acoustix99

pilot
The Georgia Tech International Affairs department seems to put out a lot of naval aviators as well :) (Reformed AE here)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
If your degree is going to take more than 4 years to complete, you'll be fine. This is especially true for universities that have the reputation for being difficult and taking more than for years. I can vouch for Purdue, a lot of my classmates are taking an extra semester or two to complete their degrees in ME for example. Im sure the Navy will understand the case with GT as well. But....

It is NOT so easy to switch your major anymore. I went through 3 majors while a Freshman in NROTC. The navy wants technical people more than liberal arts majors. I started out in engeering and ended up graduating with PoliSci. The newer mids who came in as engineers are expected to STAY that way. Much more difficult to get out of tough major.

Questions, PM me.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
The NROTC still does it better than AFROTC. AFROTC requires you to declare your major before your first day of class. From that point on changing your major requires you to drop your scholarship and reapply under your new major. Not very fun at all!