• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nrotc Commissioning Lineal Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSUMIDN

P-3 TACCO
I always thought that all MIDN commissioned through NROTC were immediately put behind the Academy guys as far as lineal numbers. Now I see this and realize how cool it is to be commissioned on 30 April. Eat that Academy anchor man.

(1) Midshipmen who commission from 1 May through 30 June receive the same date as the Naval Academy midshipmen, hence, block 14 and 16 will reflect the Naval Academy's commissioning date. However, have the midshipman and witnessing officer sign the Oath annotating the actual date of commissioning and commencing active duty, i.e., 6 May.

(2) ECPs are stand alones so block 14 and 16 and the date the ECP and witnessing officer sign the Oath will reflect the actual date of commissioning and commencing active duty regardless if commissioned during 1 May through 30 June.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Umm . . . to my knowledge Ensigns do not get lineal numbers; you have to get promoted first. I also believe Academy/ROTC mids are all lumped together when determining lineal numbers, but I could be wrong.

snizo

Supply Officer
This is the first I have heard about us not getting lineal numbers? I am pretty sure we do get those.

The date stuff FSU said is correct, though. We comissioned all but one of our guys on Apr 30 -- and that is their official date. The guy who got comissioned late (paperwork/medical issues pushed him back about a week) has the same date as the academy guys just because he graduated in the same month as them.

But ... if you ask me, its all a load of BS anyway. If I get comissioned 5 days before the academy guys, I get comissioned 5 days before the academy guys. I shouldn't be punished because I get my bars the same month as them...its not like I decided to join ROTC at my school because of an earlier graduation date...

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
It's just one of those anal things to assure that a USNA grad will be senior to ROTC grads that same month.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You do get lineal #s at commissioning.

And it means......................NOTHING.

Except maybe at SERE, when it comes down to an NROTC or and Academy guy for class leader...."Aw shucks, looks like you get the honor....."

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You do get lineal #s at commissioning.
This confused me because I'd been briefed to the contrary as a mid, so I thought I'd look it up. Here's what I found on the BUPERS site. According to NAVPERS 15018, "Ensigns are not assigned precedence numbers until promoted to Lieutenant (junior grade). Therefore the register number of most ensigns will be blank. Ensigns with the same date of rank rank among themselves in alphabetical order." You can find the actual register of all US Navy Officers (as of last September) here.

I checked out my record and that of an academy guy I know and we both had no lineal number.

snizo

Supply Officer
Thats interesting? Our ENS were talking about them and priorities and such. Who knows -- it won't matter for them for a while. But it will matter -- if they stay in for career doesn't lineal number affect your promotability? If it does (which is my impression) that is why I think it is rediculous.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Lineal numbers may seem trivial at the JO level, but they're still good for something. In our squadron, before each boat det/cruise we have room wars. Basically the more senior you are, the higher you pick. There are no ties, so two guys who graduated the same year from USNA have their class rank decide who's senior. I know it sounds stupid, but it could be the difference between getting a 2-man room vice a 4-man.

zilber

pilot
As far as I am concerned, if an Academy guy is put ahead of me (a ROTC guy) on "the list", he deserves it. Talking to my Academy buddies, as much crap as they had to go through, while I was enjoying my college life, they can be ahead of me on any list, because eventually, I would be ahead on "the list" of the next Academy graduating class...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I would beg to differ:
When an academy guy walks away from college, he owes NOTHING. When a ROTC guy walks away, he is most likely in debt to pay for what the Navy did not. SO, it was their choice to go to the boat school....a free ride...but they had to put up with more crap...

Let me know when you have to walk off the boat after a 6 month deployment because some academy guy has a higher lineal number than you....then let me know how you feel...

ea6bflyr

zilber said:
As far as I am concerned, if an Academy guy is put ahead of me (a ROTC guy) on "the list", he deserves it. Talking to my Academy buddies, as much crap as they had to go through, while I was enjoying my college life, they can be ahead of me on any list, because eventually, I would be ahead on "the list" of the next Academy graduating class...

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What exactly is a lineal number and why is it important? It soudns like a seniority thing, so would my BDCP active duty status give me some sort of advantage?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ben,
Nope, you are assigned a lineal number upon completion of your commissioning pipeline (OCS, ROTC, ACAD). As an Ensign, your lineal number is so large, it really doesn't matter, but as you progress up the ranks the lineal number becomes more and more important....for SENIORITY (Promotions, etc).
ea6bflyr

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
zilber said:

Someone please slap him!!! LOL

DairyCreamer

My Dad, who was in the Navy long ago, and now holds a government job that puts him in contact with military leaders on a daily basis, has always told me that the "Ring Knockers" always have a special edge when it comes to things.

It may be unspoken, but (again according to him), Academy grads, all else equal, will get the nod for a position they are competing with an OCS or ROTC guy 9 times out of 10.

I won't pretend to disagree with him... I have a feeling this is true on a gut level. Now, it may or may not be as "severe" in this day in age, but... it would seem almost logical that someone who spent 4 years getting "pampered" (ha!) by the Navy at the Academy before their commission might be looked upon more favorably than ROTC or OCS grads of the same general timeframe.

I also won't pretend to know jack of what I'm talking about here. What my Dad hasn't shared with me is otherwise pure speculation. This is an interesting discussion for sure though.

~Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.