• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC for 4yrs w/o scholarship?

Rhoades

Can you join NROTC without a scholarship for 4yrs and become a commisioned officer? Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Birdman

Yes, you can. The Navy or Marine Corps just doesn't give you any money for school. Can still commission

I just graduated/commissioned via this route.

Good thing: No Calc/Physics
Bad thing: No free school

If you have more questions about the specifics, please ask. Here to help.

-jai5w4

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I did it too. Both jai and I are now SNA's waiting to start API so it can be done this route.

And as Jai said, if you have questions, pm me

pdx

HSM Pilot
jai5w4 said:
Good thing: No Calc/Physics
Bad thing: No free school

The "good thing" might not be so good in the long run for pilots. Non-technical majors can certainly make it through flight school, but having a little physics makes aero go a LOT smoother. You won't have to design systems, but you will have to understand how they work.

NavyLonghorn

pdx said:
The "good thing" might not be so good in the long run for pilots. Non-technical majors can certainly make it through flight school, but having a little physics makes aero go a LOT smoother. You won't have to design systems, but you will have to understand how they work.

Whatever dude. Thats a bunch of crap. All of the stuff is designed for non-technical folx, and people who actually know aero just end up nuking it half the time.

I would even say you dont have any need to "understand" sytems, you just have to know a name of a part, and what it does. Its called NATOPS, read the paragraph, say I belive, Repeat.

As a philosopy and political science major, I had absolutly no problem whatsoever with API or any system.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
pdx said:

Total BS. It's not rocket science by any means and it's fed to you. If a rock, and I mean rock, like I can make it through, anybody can.

On topic, I did both CP and scholarship. Picked up a 2-year NROTC scholarship. Definitely nice having school and books paid for.

pdx

HSM Pilot
bunk22 said:
Total BS. It's not rocket science by any means and it's fed to you. If a rock, and I mean rock, like I can make it through, anybody can.

On topic, I did both CP and scholarship. Picked up a 2-year NROTC scholarship. Definitely nice having school and books paid for.

just my 2 cents. I am an engineering type, and I always found it helpful. Not necessary, but helpful. I've spent 5% or my time studying aero/systems and 95% studying flying.

If you are already in college and thinking about NROTC, take a look at BDCP as well. It has certain advantages/disadvantages (search the site, there are lots of posts already). Tech and non-tech majors are both eligible for BDCP.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
pdx said:

AERO is just a couple classes in flight school... with passing grades of an 80% while all tech's are at home trying to understand how the stuff works, the enterprising non-techs are using their networking skills to get the gouge from people who went before them, on their way out to the bars/parties...

Everything you need to know about a system can be learned from reading NATOPS memorizing the limits and drawing it out.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I was a sociology major. But at least I had a blistering 2.5 from a state school to prove my academic prowess. Aero/engines/etc. is pretty easy. A lot easier than getting a high paying job with a 2.5 in sociology.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
zippy said:
Everything you need to know about a system can be learned from reading NATOPS memorizing the limits and drawing it out.

Until the first time you run into something that isn't covered in the book. Happens more than you think.

jpm269

pilot
You really don't need a tech major to understand the complex systems in the aircraft but it does help when you do run into something that isn't covered in the book as JIMC5499 has said. Natops does say "It provides the best available operating instructions for most circumstances, but no manual is a substitute for sound judgment. Operational necessity may require modification of the procedures contained herein." Therefore, it's great that you memorize everything like you should without a complete understanding but IMHO you are only doing the minimum of what is required of you. In the event that you are up in front of a board for some unfortunate mishap and they ask you what you did and why, it isnt enough to just reply NATOPS told me to. Remember, you are an Officer and that entails being a leader and making decisions....not reciting NATOPS. DAMCLAS, for those of you that don't know: Decision Making, Assertiveness, Mission Analysis, Communication, Leadership, Adaptability/Flexability and Situational Awareness. Just my 2 cents.

NavyLonghorn

jpm269 said:
You really don't need a tech major to understand the complex systems in the aircraft but it does help when you do run into something that isn't covered in the book as JIMC5499 has said. Natops does say "It provides the best available operating instructions for most circumstances, but no manual is a substitute for sound judgment. Operational necessity may require modification of the procedures contained herein." Therefore, it's great that you memorize everything like you should without a complete understanding but IMHO you are only doing the minimum of what is required of you. In the event that you are up in front of a board for some unfortunate mishap and they ask you what you did and why, it isnt enough to just reply NATOPS told me to. Remember, you are an Officer and that entails being a leader and making decisions....not reciting NATOPS. DAMCLAS, for those of you that don't know: Decision Making, Assertiveness, Mission Analysis, Communication, Leadership, Adaptability/Flexability and Situational Awareness. Just my 2 cents.

NATOPS told me to sounds like a pretty damn good answer to me. Its all ive ever been tought as an aviator. NATOPS, NATOPS, NATOPS, NATOPS.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
jpm269 said:

Yes, and tell the board you decided to do something outside of NATOPS or instead of and see what happens. That's a double edged sword my friend. If you saved the aircraft, you wouldn't be at a board anyway. It doesn't take an engineer to understand the basics of system operations and go from there.