• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC for 4yrs w/o scholarship?

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
bunk22 said:
Yes, and tell the board you decided to do something outside of NATOPS or instead of and see what happens. That's a double edged sword my friend. If you saved the aircraft, you wouldn't be at a board anyway. It doesn't take an engineer to understand the basics of system operations and go from there.

You have to be alive to be in front of a board.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
jai5w4 said:
I just graduated/commissioned via this route.

Good thing: No Calc/Physics
Bad thing: No free school

-jai5w4

I'm not saying you shouldn't look for the silver lining, but physics and calc were not that bad. What is bad is missing out on a scholarship that, in one drunken and laid back semester, is worth more $$ than an entire year of being an Ensign. If you break down the money by hours of work and compare the two, it'll look even better. Also, guess which one was less stressful and more fun?

I'm not saying anyone was doing CP to avoid these classes. Just realize that your NROTC scholarship is probably one of the best deals you're ever going to get, and two piddly little classes are a small price to pay.

NavyLonghorn

LtJG. NavyVance appears to have died due to insufficient systems knowledge(s), it is the determination of the board, that he would be alive today had he only taken Physics in college.

Super Hornet 88

jai5w4 said:
I just graduated/commissioned via this route.

Good thing: No Calc/Physics
Bad thing: No free school

-jai5w4

Whoa! Is the college program only for people who didn't get a scholarship? Or can I just ask to be in the program?

-Dan

My grades weren't good enough at the time for scholarships, so it was by default that I went the College Program route.

You CAN stay in the program via a College Program opportunity, but it is a MUCH safer bet to pick up a scholarship. The number of College Programers allowed to continue on in NROTC (yes, there are boards for CPers just like for a scholarship) fluxuates every year.

If you just pick up a scholarship you are safe from playing the "maybe/numbers" game with going CP.

-jai5w4

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
NavyVance said:
NATOPS told me to sounds like a pretty damn good answer to me. Its all ive ever been tought as an aviator. NATOPS, NATOPS, NATOPS, NATOPS.

If it was always as simple as just regurgitating a book they'd let anybody do this with just an open/closed book exam. NATOPS knowlege is critical to proper and professional operation of naval aircraft, but systems knowlege and application is what brings it all together. That way, when a problem arises that isn't in the book, or where circumstances preclude a reasonable person from performing the NATOPS steps verbatim, you'll be able to bring the jet back safely.

navychick

Why would you go college program if you could go scholarship...Unless you weren't sure if you wanted to be in the Navy/Marine Corps, but if you are sure, definitely go for the scholarship. The other thing is, if you go in as a college programmer, you have to pick up advanced standing by the time you are a junior, have to (at least at my school). This means that you get a monthly stipend but you are not on scholarship. It also means that you have your spot locked in for commissioning.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Flygrl88 said:
Why would you go college program if you could go scholarship...Unless you weren't sure if you wanted to be in the Navy/Marine Corps, but if you are sure, definitely go for the scholarship. The other thing is, if you go in as a college programmer, you have to pick up advanced standing by the time you are a junior, have to (at least at my school). This means that you get a monthly stipend but you are not on scholarship. It also means that you have your spot locked in for commissioning.

I think if one is a rock, like I was, without the solid GPA and SAT score, it might be the only way to go. I ended with a 2-yr NROTC scholarship after putting a little effort into school. My guess is it's easier to get a 2-yr than a 4 or 3 year.