• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nrotc

sh89

Hey, im new here. After reading some posts on this website, i have some general questions about NROTC. First,I go to a college offering NROTC https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/colleges.cfm, correct? Than i apply for NROTC, but in which year of college? Do you apply in your sophomore year, since some classes are required? How competitive is it to get into NROTC? Once you're in NROTC, and do well, are you guaranteed a pilot slot?

Thanks

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
If you're still in high school, you can apply for a 4-year scholarship and choose a school with an NROTC unit. If not, disregard.

Pilot (or any slot) isn't guaranteed in ROTC. (Well, I think SWO slots are guaranteed ;))

sh89

Thisguy said:
If you're still in high school, you can apply for a 4-year scholarship and choose a school with an NROTC unit. If not, disregard.

Pilot (or any slot) isn't guaranteed in ROTC. (Well, I think SWO slots are guaranteed ;))

Yes, im still in high school. What if i can pay for my college tuition, do i just apply for NROTC? Also, i have another off the subject question. Can pilots stay in the Navy for a good 20-30 years and have a very long career?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Thisguy said:
(Well, I think SWO slots are guaranteed ;))

Not this past year... I know one person who didn't get a swo and was "pending" for a while before the unit was able to get them SNFO.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
sh89 said:
Yes, im still in high school. What if i can pay for my college tuition, do i just apply for NROTC? Also, i have another off the subject question. Can pilots stay in the Navy for a good 20-30 years and have a very long career?

You can go into NROTC as a college program student (as opposed to a scholarship student) and then either pick up your scholarship in the first 2 years, or pick up advanced standing. This year there were no advanced standing positions given out nationwide, so I would strive towards getting a scholarship......its nice and also you get paid :) If your grades aren't that great coming out of high school, getting a year of college under your belt (as well as taking some of the required calc and physics classes) will definitely improve your chances of getting a scholarship.....and you also get to see if you like the whole Navy ROTC lifestyle.

As for your other question, I think that is sort of hard to answer. It all depends on how things work out for you. There are people who do make a career out of it, and there are plenty who just get out. Sometimes this is a decision that you make, and other times it is a decision that is made for you. That said, if you want a long career of flying I would suggest joining the airlines. Senior command billets (with the exception of a couple) generally don't involve flying...but this is not to say that a long career in the Navy can't be exciting and rewarding. Part of the fun of being an officer (or so I'm told ;) ) is the opportunity to lead others, and as it turns out, the cockpit is not the best place to do this. Just some food for thought.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thisguy said:
Well, I think SWO slots are guaranteed
Thisguy,

You've been around here long enough to know not to spew stuff like that.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MIDNJAC said:
Senior command billets (with the exception of a couple) generally don't involve flying..
Which ones would those be?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
zippy said:
Not this past year... I know one person who didn't get a swo and was "pending" for a while before the unit was able to get them SNFO.
From what I heard, those few, um, *special* people were being offered IRR as an option.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Brett327 said:
I'm sure he means those squadron CO and CAG billets.

Brett

exactly....those, and when I was on the Kitty Hawk the CO, XO, and Admiral all got their currency flights from what I could tell. Can't think of anywhere else though off the top of my head....

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
MIDNJAC said:
exactly....those, and when I was on the Kitty Hawk the CO, XO, and Admiral all got their currency flights from what I could tell. Can't think of anywhere else though off the top of my head....

While it is possible, I doubt the CO, XO and Admiral maintained currency.