• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nrotc

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
They could have been going up just for fun. Those old farts love to go fly when they can, but it takes a lot of flying to maintain different kinds of currency.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HH-60H said:
They could have been going up just for fun. Those old farts love to go fly when they can, but it takes a lot of flying to maintain different kinds of currency.
Depends on your platform. Tactical/SORTS currency is one thing, but those guys aren't being tracked by anyone for that stuff anyway. NATOPS currency might be doable though.

Brett

sh89

MIDNJAC said:
If your grades aren't that great coming out of high school, getting a year of college under your belt (as well as taking some of the required calc and physics classes) will definitely improve your chances of getting a scholarship..

My HS GPA is decent(3.66), but from i have read it does not mean much, besides getting into a good school. If i work hard in college(especially my first year), take all the required classes ,and take tech major, do you think i have a shot at getting a NROTC scholarship? Also, if i do well in NROTC and the rest of my college years, can i net a pilot slot? i was talking with this one guy who is on "the board"(i dont know the name), and he said that those with a 3.0 gpa/tech major usually get a pilot slot, while those without a tech major need a 3.5 gpa to net a pilot slot. Is what this guy, who i met at a chat, accurate?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
sh89 said:
My HS GPA is decent(3.66), but from i have read it does not mean much, besides getting into a good school. If i work hard in college(especially my first year), take all the required classes ,and take tech major, do you think i have a shot at getting a NROTC scholarship? Also, if i do well in NROTC and the rest of my college years, can i net a pilot slot? i was talking with this one guy who is on "the board"(i dont know the name), and he said that those with a 3.0 gpa/tech major usually get a pilot slot, while those without a tech major need a 3.5 gpa to net a pilot slot. Is what this guy, who i met at a chat, accurate?

1) I wouldn't chose a major because you think it'll get you a better chance at the scholarship. Pick a major because you enjoy it/are interested in it. Your grades will probably be better if you do.

2) What that guy said about gpa/non tech majors is crap. I got a 2.9 in Poli Sci, and im certain that I'm not the only one whose grades were lower then a 3.5 in a non-tech major and still made it.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
sh89 said:
My HS GPA is decent(3.66), but from i have read it does not mean much, besides getting into a good school. If i work hard in college(especially my first year), take all the required classes ,and take tech major, do you think i have a shot at getting a NROTC scholarship?

There's not doubt you can compete for a scholarship once you get to college, but like I posted before, it's not going to hurt to apply for a scholarship right out of high school. I mean, would you rather have 4 years of tuition paid for, or just 2 or 3?

College program is usually for guys who get interested in ROTC after they go to college, or they couldn't get a scholarship out of high school and never gave up. It sounds like you're in a position to get a 4-year scholarship, so go take advantage of that.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah, I would say with your grades and any extracurricular activities (sports, and leadership positions are a big plus) you have done, you should have a good shot at a 4 yr. scholarship. It is definitely worth a try (especially if money is an issue). Personally, I'm glad that I did my first year as a college programmer, because it gave me some valuable time to decide if this was what I want to do......and there were definitely times when I wasn't so sure that year. Another thing that happened was during my winter and spring terms (freshman year), the CO authorized smaller (non-scholarship) financial aid payments for myself and a couple other college program students who were doing well. These were in the ballpark of $1200 each term, so that saved some money. I don't know however, if this is something that happens at other units around the country or just mine. Still, I can't argue with a full ride :)

sh89

Hey, thanks for all of your help. I already know the school that i want to go to that has a NROTC program(UC San Diego or San Diego State). Do i apply for NROTC in my Jr. year, after(if) i get accepted to this school? Will joining the sea cadets help in any way?