• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Number of aircraft in USN and USMC?

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
Little point of contention the US flies the F/A-18A/B/C/D/E/F not the F-18. Finland and Switzerland fly the F-18C/D which lack the avionics to make it a proper ground attack aircraft, although the Swiss did later on retrofit their birds, but kept the designation.

Well on those stats I know at LEAST 2 F-18B's that the Marines own. I've flown one of them and some things are archaic coming from T-45C's. I mean c'mmon scrolling gauges?!?!? I keed I keed.

Also, I can't recall too many people referring to the hornet as "F/A" anything. Brevity dictates "F-18" from the little experience I have.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Well on those stats I know at LEAST 2 F-18B's that the Marines own. I've flown one of them and some things are archaic coming from T-45C's. I mean c'mmon scrolling gauges?!?!? I keed I keed.

Also, I can't recall too many people referring to the hornet as "F/A" anything. Brevity dictates "F-18" from the little experience I have.
Yeah, that was more of an attempt to espouse some knowledges that I got about the Bug from a former commodore, he also hates it when you refer to the G as the growler, dunno why...

Huggy Bear

pilot
Little point of contention the US flies the F/A-18A/B/C/D/E/F not the F-18. Finland and Switzerland fly the F-18C/D which lack the avionics to make it a proper ground attack aircraft, although the Swiss did later on retrofit their birds, but kept the designation.

Actually... at least according to the XO who green inked my many PAO articles many years ago, the slash from F/A-18 has been officially dropped. It should just be FA-18 now. Personally, I think the whole convention of putting F and A in the name is stupid. I understand why they did it back in the 70's and 80's when they were selling the hornet as the jack of all trades, but I think we can safely call it just the F-18 now.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually... at least according to the XO who green inked my many PAO articles many years ago, the slash from F/A-18 has been officially dropped. It should just be FA-18 now. Personally, I think the whole convention of putting F and A in the name is stupid. I understand why they did it back in the 70's and 80's when they were selling the hornet as the jack of all trades, but I think we can safely call it just the F-18 now.

I agree... and everyone else calls it the F-18 regardless. The F-4 was essentially multi-role (though not designed that way)... we didn't rename it F/A-4. Hell, the F-14 became multi-role.

USMC Helo Bubba

Contributor
:sleep_125 :sleep_125 :sleep_125