• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NUW PBY 'Cat' Time Machine ... 60+ years ago ???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It wasn't that long ago that those T-34B's that are in Navy flying clubs were assigned to recruiters all over the country! ....
That was quite commonplace, starting @ 45+ years ago ... the only problem was -- every time I wanted a ride, the recruiter was AWOL ... so me & 3-4 other guys went to NAS Sand Point and flew THIS w/ our 'wild man' terminal O-4 Frosh Instructor:

c45r.jpg

Up & over the top of MT Rainier ... and then rollin' it over & down the other side ... ????

DEFINITELY good times ... :D

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
That was quite commonplace, starting @ 45+ years ago ... the only problem was -- every time I wanted a ride, the recruiter was AWOL ... so me & 3-4 other guys went to NAS Sand Point and flew THIS w/ our 'wild man' terminal O-4 Frosh Instructor:

Up & over the top of MT Rainier ... and then rollin' it over & down the other side ... ????

Yep, there's that feeling that I was born at least 30 years too late, again. . .:icon_smil

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Yeah its a shame we cant fly the B models anymore. apparently the wings were breaking off during high G maneuvers. Too costly to upgrade the wing spars. We have a few here at pax that we cant even fly.

They couldn't just lower the limit load on the unmodified -B models?

OscarMyers

None
I dont know the specifics, i just know they grounded the fleet of T34Bs untill they got the wing-spar upgrade. Our flying club cant give them away.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
They couldn't just lower the limit load on the unmodified -B models?

I think 'they' did a few times ... and I think it was the FAA that said: NO MORE ...

I checked it out w/ the local flying club when I was thinking about joining ... as several years ago they had FOUR (4) flyable T-34B's and I wanted to form an experienced 'demonstration team' and do the PNW airshow circuit ... but the 'leadership' (such as it was at the time) of the flying club went into full 'panic' mode and I learned they were basically useless if you already 'knew how to fly' ... but I could be wrong .... as wouldn't be the first time.

It would be the third time ... :D

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor

c45r.jpg

A4S: The UC-45J "Bugsmasher" was still used in 1966 to teach SNFOs basic air navigation & radio procedures. Like the S-2 & other Navy prop a/c of the time, it launched, cruised & stalled around 120kts. Somehow, after a Bugsmasher flight, you just didn't feel you were a step away from the fleet. True Story: My squadron kept a permanent det in Tan Son Nhut & DaNang. We wanted/needed some PAO footage for the homefolks & media back home. So I went to the NavSuppAct in Saigon & found a combat cameraman who agreed to shoot some air-to-air footage of our a/c in action. We used the SuppAct's duty admin plane for the work. The aircraft? The UC-45J w/ the CC hanging out the side door (strapped to inside of a/c). We were over the Mekong Delta area & near & below us was an AF C-123 spraying "Agent Orange" over the jungle. I'm in the right seat w/ the pilot & after shooting is finished he lets me bring the a/c back to TSN. As we enter downwind about to turn final, he looks at me & asks "Do you want to make the landing?" I yell "hell, no, I'm an NFO". I was wearing glasses, FCOL. You can't make this shit up.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's a real shame. I'd love to have one.
I wonder how many fat cats will cough up the half-mil for a Charlie in a couple of years. Though I'm sure the powers that be will freak out about fatigue life, and put similar restrictions on them sooner or later . . . leaving you with a Malibu minus the passenger capacity.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I dont know the specifics, i just know they grounded the fleet of T34Bs untill they got the wing-spar upgrade. Our flying club cant give them away.

Dang. That's probably why I don't see the ones flying around the pattern at KNIP anymore.

They were cranking pretty much every weekend @6 months ago.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Nah, I saw one flying today...Overshooting like a mofo too with winds down the pipe. It looked like he was getting paddles calls from the front gate.