• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NYT: Pentagon Expects Cuts in Military Spending

Stick

pilot
I'd like to see them cut ballistic missile defense first, since its so damn expensive and has so far to go technologically before it can be deployed.

I believe it has already been deployed. They are called SSBN's. The B stands for ballistic missile.:)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I believe it has already been deployed. They are called SSBN's. The B stands for ballistic missile.:)

Uh, I believe he was referreing to shooting down ballistic missiles...not deploying them.

Bevo16

pilot
Uh, I believe he was referreing to shooting down ballistic missiles...not deploying them.

Uh, I believe that someone missed the joke. These things are usually a good hint that there was some sort of humor intended: :):icon_tong:icon_smil:icon_mi_1:p;):eek::tongue2_1:D:confused:

The point was that SSBN's do the same job. They keep missiles from hitting the US, because everyone knows that doing so would be certain death.

Same end, already paid for.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Today is not the day to test my sense of humor;)

It's cool to make fun of the bubbleheads....but SSBNs are awesome.

Bevo16

pilot

What sense of humor? :)

The best thing about bubbleheads is that the jokes just write themselves.

"Funny" story about that strategic missile defense system:

We were doing flight ops about 500 miles west of Hawaii on the way to the gulf back in 2005. It was early afternoon, clear BEAUTIFUL day, and we were right in the middle of a recovery cycle. All of the sudden strike breaks in and gives everyone a different (what seemed like random) vector away from the boat and told everyone to buster, and the flight deck was being cleared. I had less than a month in the squadron, and was flying with one of our department heads. I look over at him with that "I don't know what the fuck is going on, please tell me you do." confused nugget look. and he just shrugs his shoulders at me. He calls strike and asks what is going on. Turns out that they were doing one of those missile shoot down tests, and the entire strike group was right in the middle of the frag pattern of the high altitude intercept. We didn't get a vector because the helo could not move fast enough to get out of the pattern anyway, and it was to late to get us on deck. Nice. The bastards could have said "duck". We just had to sit there and hope that the "big sky, little target" theory would save us. It did, obviously. I am just glad that I was not the one who forgot to check (or send) that e-mail regarding the test. We had one pissed off CAG and carrier CO after that one.

Sub King

You make fun of bubbleheads??? I bet its pretty easy with all that salty experience you got no? I have crusty underway socks with more time than you......but no really how you doing brutha?

On a serious note, it'll be interesting to see how the training pipelines get affected? I'm sure equally bad things have happened in the past but it would suck to get Winged and go to the rag and find out that you're no longer required...."Find work elsewhere!"

Bevo16

pilot
On a serious note, it'll be interesting to see how the training pipelines get affected? I'm sure equally bad things have happened in the past but it would suck to get Winged and go to the rag and find out that you're no longer required...."Find work elsewhere!"

Both the P-3 and the 60B community have had to deal with this in very recent past.

I have a buddy who got his wings, was assigned to P-3's and was told that he was going to be going into the reserves as soon as he completed the FRS.

There were a ton of fresh wingers and PQM's over in Bravo land who were given 6 month to year long stash jobs either before or after the FRS. I know plenty of guys who have been told that they will never make HAC because there are not enough hours on the aircraft to give them the training flights.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator

I would be more concerned about this type of situation. At least I'll have orders to my fleet squadron within a month.....then who knows!

If they did cut guys who have already winged, it'd be a colossal waste of cash and time, especially since we were supposed to be committed for 8 years....but I guess this saves money in the long run.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
This might be a dumb question but would a decrease in military spending result in guys like me that will be going to OCS facing the chopping block right after we get through OCS?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
This might be a dumb question but would a decrease in military spending result in guys like me that will be going to OCS facing the chopping block right after we get through OCS?

I can't speak to that, but I can tell you that the FY09 DCO Intel boards that were supposed to have taken place in Feb. and Mar. were canceled.

MasterBates

I would advise all SNAs brought in for a standown or other large meetings to check under their seats.

Generally, pink is bad.