• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oceana Questions

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I was getting some relax time out on Virginia Beach today (8/24/08) and got to see a few hornets flying out of (or probably back into) Oceana, but were pretty far away.

Is there a good beach around here I could go to that's closer to the normal flight pattern? I'd like to go get some beers and hang out and watch you guys work. :D

Also, are the French Rafales still around?

Last thing, I SWEAR I saw a T-45 today when I was leaving. The girlfriend said "Hey, here comes one." I think it was the first time I've ever seen a Goshawk in real life. Can anyone verify there was one flying around today?

Thanks, I'll be up here all week just getting in some PT and relax time on the beaches. Let me know if there's a good spot.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Probably someone on a cross country.

That's what I thought, thanks. Anyone have a good location for jet-watching? (Helos/Props too :D, but you guys are easier - all the time up at NS Norfolk)

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
CNATRA boat det is out of Oceana right now, that T-45 is a part of it I am sure along with 15-20 others.

skillz

I was getting some relax time out on Virginia Beach today (8/24/08) and got to see a few hornets flying out of (or probably back into) Oceana, but were pretty far away.

Is there a good beach around here I could go to that's closer to the normal flight pattern? I'd like to go get some beers and hang out and watch you guys work. :D

Also, are the French Rafales still around?

Last thing, I SWEAR I saw a T-45 today when I was leaving. The girlfriend said "Hey, here comes one." I think it was the first time I've ever seen a Goshawk in real life. Can anyone verify there was one flying around today?

Thanks, I'll be up here all week just getting in some PT and relax time on the beaches. Let me know if there's a good spot.

Hell, you can come to my house over here off Lynnhaven and we can drink cold beer in my driveway...They fly DIRECTLY over my house. You can damn near read the buno number.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Hell, you can come to my house over here off Lynnhaven and we can drink cold beer in my driveway...They fly DIRECTLY over my house. You can damn near read the buno number.

Ate at Cheeseburger in Paradise there this evening and missed a bunch of them. The girl hates it when she can't get me into the mall because I insist on standing in the parking lot staring at the sky. :D

Lobster

Last thing, I SWEAR I saw a T-45 today when I was leaving. The girlfriend said "Hey, here comes one." I think it was the first time I've ever seen a Goshawk in real life. Can anyone verify there was one flying around today

Your girl can spot and decipher naval aircraft...definite keeper

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As noted, Goshawks come to Oceana routinely on cross-countries or for boat Dets

Several weeks ago in late July

SaltyDog.jpg

Goshawks.jpg

To answer your Rafale question, at same time, two French Air Force Stratotakers showed up and packed their gear and people and each tanker took off followed by a flight of 3 Rafales each that joined on their "mother" and departed for points East.

Rafalelineup.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

FAFKC-135.jpg

HJ Photos

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
Your girl can spot and decipher naval aircraft...definite keeper

I'm not sure that "here comes one" qualifies as 'spotting and deciphering', though I had to admit, it's better than my fiance does. She can't tell the difference between the F/A-18s and the C-130s that come into the Savannah area. :(

Lobster

I'm not sure that "here comes one" qualifies as 'spotting and deciphering', though I had to admit, it's better than my fiance does. She can't tell the difference between the F/A-18s and the C-130s that come into the Savannah area. :(

Maybe I read that wrong I thought she spotted it then said it was a T-45 which would have been impressive.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Maybe I read that wrong I thought she spotted it then said it was a T-45 which would have been impressive.

Ah, no, but she knew it was a military jet, and knew it was different from a hornet. So I gave her props :D

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Getting close to change of wings then?
Here's some more shots of 117
September 26th.....Here I am in 117 getting ready to launch after a reposition.....and 182 is coincidentally next to me also.
n1130451838_94725_9525.jpg

Ah, no, but she knew it was a military jet, and knew it was different from a hornet. So I gave her props :D
Any pictures from the beach?.....no not airplane pictures.:D

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Any pictures from the beach?.....no not airplane pictures.:D

Heading out there again today. I won't let you down, sir. I will need Mod approval though - standby for beach hottie approval request. :D