• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS DELAYS *** IMPORTANT ***

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
For those still waiting for FINSEL letters and OCS shipping dates, OCS has reduced their class sizes and experiencing a shortage of instructors at this time. Because of such, there's been a delay and backlog of getting FINSEL letters out as well as OCS class dates assigned. For those who have been PROREC'd and still awaiting a FINSEL letter, please be patient and flexible with yourself and your recruiter. There's not much we can do on their/my end to expeditite this, but I do ask to be patient and surely your recruiter will get in touch with you ASAP when the letters come out. Thanks!

(Think of it this way, you have some extra time to get in shape/study up for OCS...)

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Just out of curiosity, what type of staff are they missing? DIs/RDCs/Class Officers?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Having been up at OCS for most of 2013 so far, I have seen more DIs leave than come in. They have an absolute buttload of LTs that could do the Class-O thing. Class officer is not quite the same gig as DI/RDC with regards to time commitments and stuff like that - they all have other duties like instruction and curriculum that they spend time on as well (don't get me wrong, they work hard for their classes!). As for RDCs, they work with all the accession programs at OTCN except those that train priors only (LDO/CWO, STA-21), and there are plenty of them there at the moment. Although I can't speak for extenuating circumstances (leave, etc).

They have been doing this thing with a few classes where they still do the two company split, but the class will have only one DI vice having one for each company. That is not ideal for obvious reasons, so I'd imagine they are trying to keep the classes under 60 so they don't have to split them into companies. You need up to 8 E-6 or E-7 DIs to support the max of 8 companies, and they can probably barely do that right now. They even had some DIs this summer double up by picking up a class when their current class got to candio.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
They even had some DIs this summer double up by picking up a class when their current class got to candio.

This was actually the old school method during AOCS according to my CDI. That way they didn't have Candios beholden to two DIs - and the Candios already had an understanding for what the DI was looking for during Indoc and Training. Not sure when they changed it.

RiseR 25

I think this calls for reopening AOCS in Pcola... I kid, I kid. Thanks Rufio that makes more sense now, I will continue to remain patient throughout. Fortunately my college has a job fair next week so maybe I'll be able to get some career level pay before showing up to OCS.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
They even had some DIs this summer double up by picking up a class when their current class got to candio.
Oh, is that why they did that? Interesting. I thought it made a lot of sense, because then the candios knew exactly what to teach the indocs so they'd be well-prepped for their respective DI's. But I imagine it might increase the workload on the DI's who would have to both manage a brand-new class and prep their current class for pass-in-review and graduation.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Trust me, we're feeling the pain just as much as you guys are. Even my applicant is. Oh by the way, if any one you see a kid that looks like Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High show up... that's my guy.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Trust me, we're feeling the pain just as much as you guys are. Even my applicant is. Oh by the way, if any one you see a kid that looks like Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High show up... that's my guy.

And if you don't recognize him once they shave his head, then he'll be the one ordering pizzas to New Nimitz during Wakeup Wednesday.

Nuknfuts

Last 3 or 4 classes have started close to 100 candidates - and the 3 junior classes at OCS currently have only one DI for the 90ish people

Having been up at OCS for most of 2013 so far, I have seen more DIs leave than come in.

Don't think it's going to get any easier either... a lot of the DI's are up for orders too and are pushing their last couple of classes

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Oh, is that why they did that? Interesting. I thought it made a lot of sense, because then the candios knew exactly what to teach the indocs so they'd be well-prepped for their respective DI's. But I imagine it might increase the workload on the DI's who would have to both manage a brand-new class and prep their current class for pass-in-review and graduation.

Well, since the guy before you mentioned AOCS... I was class 06-87 at AOCS, and once we became Candios, the Master Guns (Chief Drill Instructor) took care of all the sword manual, pass in review and graduation stuff. Our DI had already picked up a new class two or three weeks prior, which was pretty standard, I think. AOCS back then was at least 14 weeks (my class did 15 weeks because the next class was an extra week behind us), with the last weeks before Candio taken up with a lot of the physiology and survival stuff that happens at API now. Good times.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Question I've always wondered: when you guys did the API academics at AOCS, did that actually count towards your grades and thus affect your platform/pipeline selections? If so, that must have really sucked.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Question I've always wondered: when you guys did the API academics at AOCS, did that actually count towards your grades and thus affect your platform/pipeline selections? If so, that must have really sucked.
Isn't the impact of the API academics on NSS fairly minimal, relative to performance in Primary at least?

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None

I don't know if any AOCS stuff (including the API academics) counted towards platform/pipeline selection. I don't think so. Anyway, I think I was more motivated to do well in aero, engines and navigation (the "big three") as an officer candidate than I would have been if I did it as an Ensign with lots of other distractions.

Back when I went through, there were other benefits to doing well in AOCS. Most of the guys (and the few gals) were commissioned as reserve officers. If your final NSS was in the top 10 percent of the average of the past three classes (I think that's how the formula worked), you were offered a regular commission, which afforded a little bit of prestige and a certain amount of job security in the event of a RIF.

Hmmm... I haven't been here in a while. What happened to the wings that used to accompany the user name on the left side of the post?