• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Prospect. HELP!

Mia Franco

Hi everyone. My name is Mia Franco and I am current OCS prospect for the US Navy. I recently finished my packet. I took the OAR portion of the test and scored a 41. Not too happy with this but I can always retake it. I am applying for a board in December and my recruiter told me that they lowered the standards for the Supply Core (where I am applying), because they needed more applicants. I am very nervous about my OAR score but I think I have a pretty good "overall person concept". My GPA is 3.9 and I have a BA in Psychology. I also have my Captain's License for boating along with CPR/First AID. I did many volunteer activities which involved volunteering as a youth soccer coach to helping out with many youth events. I also was team captain of my high school soccer, track, and cross-country teams. I was also a first mate on a boat that I worked on for 4 years. I have supply experience from that job. I am just trying to get a better idea if my packet will be competitive or not. Please help me out with any comments or suggestions.

Thanks!

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Good Luck. About them lowering standards for Supply because they needed more applicants...that is the first I heard. Supply has recently been getting applicants and I only know of one person on this website that was PRO-Y for Supply. Your EC activities look good though.

exNavyOffRec

Hi everyone. My name is Mia Franco and I am current OCS prospect for the US Navy. I recently finished my packet. I took the OAR portion of the test and scored a 41. Not too happy with this but I can always retake it. I am applying for a board in December and my recruiter told me that they lowered the standards for the Supply Core (where I am applying), because they needed more applicants. I am very nervous about my OAR score but I think I have a pretty good "overall person concept". My GPA is 3.9 and I have a BA in Psychology. I also have my Captain's License for boating along with CPR/First AID. I did many volunteer activities which involved volunteering as a youth soccer coach to helping out with many youth events. I also was team captain of my high school soccer, track, and cross-country teams. I was also a first mate on a boat that I worked on for 4 years. I have supply experience from that job. I am just trying to get a better idea if my packet will be competitive or not. Please help me out with any comments or suggestions.

Thanks!

You would be better off applying for SWO, Supply did lower something, it was the max age.

Supply is having some quota issues right now, so anything for current or near future is up in the air.

My OR also mentioned that Supply had a higher than normal quota this year. I'm applying to the Nov. boards but I have it as my #3 choice. I also heard that NFO has higher than normal quota but you would need to take the other parts of the ASTB to qualify. Are you also applying to the November boards? Since I am also a new applicant I have no idea if your packet will be competitive or not, I'm sure all the previous maritime experience would be a plus though. Good luck!!

exNavyOffRec

My OR also mentioned that Supply had a higher than normal quota this year. I'm applying to the Nov. boards but I have it as my #3 choice. I also heard that NFO has higher than normal quota but you would need to take the other parts of the ASTB to qualify. Are you also applying to the November boards? Since I am also a new applicant I have no idea if your packet will be competitive or not, I'm sure all the previous maritime experience would be a plus though. Good luck!!

According to RUFi0181, DIVO, and yesterday from my friend at the NRD I was at, Supply delayed the last board until Nov (essentially combining them) due to a LACK of available billets, there is speculation that all IDC may have that issue as well regarding the next few boards, I am sure RUFi0181 will be able to get more up to date info in the near future.

According to RUFi0181, DIVO, and yesterday from my friend at the NRD I was at, Supply delayed the last board until Nov (essentially combining them) due to a LACK of available billets, there is speculation that all IDC may have that issue as well regarding the next few boards, I am sure RUFi0181 will be able to get more up to date info in the near future.

Well that is certainly bad news. Hopefully the SWO board will not be affected as that is my #1 choice. Is IDC still meeting in Dec? Also, any idea if the looming govt. shutdown will have an effect on board/ OCS dates?

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
I heard SWO filled all their FY14 billets and NFO just selected for FY14. I wouldn't think quotas are higher at all.

alaurin

All day, every day!
Good luck! I hear Supply is a good community.

Check out the ASTB section of the board if you plan to retake the OAR, it was invaluable for me and many others with that test because it told us what to expect and the harder questions that people ran into when taking the test.

Mia Franco

Letters of Recommendation?
I have one from a retired one star Admiral. He is also my boss for my current job. I also have another one from a retired Chief Petty Officer who has 24 years in the Navy. The last letter is from my last job I had as a first mate on a ship out of Maui,Hawaii. I worked for that company for 5 years.

Mia Franco

Yes I am applying to the November boards. I know my OAR score is low but I'm hoping that they will see my 3.9 GPA as a good thing as well as my previous maritime experience and all of my volunteer/extracurricular activities. Thank you and good luck to you as well.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I have one from a retired one star Admiral. He is also my boss for my current job. I also have another one from a retired Chief Petty Officer who has 24 years in the Navy. The last letter is from my last job I had as a first mate on a ship out of Maui,Hawaii. I worked for that company for 5 years.

I'll just shut my mouth then. Nice letters!

exNavyOffRec

Normally LOR's from military carry little weight, except when the person has worked for them, so you are the exception.

look for updates on board schedules and such things are changing as far as boards and billets, RUFi0181 should give good updates.