• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Prospect. HELP!

j.fLo

Normally LOR's from military carry little weight, except when the person has worked for them, so you are the exception.

look for updates on board schedules and such things are changing as far as boards and billets, RUFi0181 should give good updates.
Out of curiosity, as this situation might not be quite typical, what about letters from two flight instructors who are retired and current (respectively) aviators? For what it's worth, I'm applying for SNA, and both have seen my character in and out of the cockpit as they shared my life (somewhat, we were all in a glider club) with me from age 14-18? The active duty aviator may not be comfortable doing a LOR, but I expect he'll interview me at a minimum. I have several other letters locked in, but I can only get one from a place of employment as I've only had two jobs (and you've already commented on my other thread about not using my current employer).

This is getting long winded, but would references like that still carry little weight, or would that be something more substantial because they have personally experienced my character, though as an instructor, not an employer?

Thanks for all your insight and advice so far,
-Jon

exNavyOffRec

Out of curiosity, as this situation might not be quite typical, what about letters from two flight instructors who are retired and current (respectively) aviators? For what it's worth, I'm applying for SNA, and both have seen my character in and out of the cockpit as they shared my life (somewhat, we were all in a glider club) with me from age 14-18? The active duty aviator may not be comfortable doing a LOR, but I expect he'll interview me at a minimum. I have several other letters locked in, but I can only get one from a place of employment as I've only had two jobs (and you've already commented on my other thread about not using my current employer).

This is getting long winded, but would references like that still carry little weight, or would that be something more substantial because they have personally experienced my character, though as an instructor, not an employer?

Thanks for all your insight and advice so far,
-Jon

Quick short answer, if a person has seen you work or do something substantial they have value, a 30 minute meeting is not, have them use the DD370, better chance they will do it.

j.fLo

Quick short answer, if a person has seen you work or do something substantial they have value, a 30 minute meeting is not, have them use the DD370, better chance they will do it.

Thanks for the answer, that is more or less what I was expecting. They've both seen me go from novice to private pilot, as well as a lot of personal development along the way. As a side note, Ive been forwarding the DD370 to everyone I've looked for LORs from. Is this inappropriate for professors and other character references who've seen me grow as a person? I feel that they can still write their letter in the given space, but the form gives them some direction as to what to write and they have the added bonus of being able to rate me in leadership categories. Is this the wrong idea and I should just have them write actual letters, or can this form be used for any reference? I wasn't given a whole lot of direction in terms of letters of recommendation in my brief conversation with my recruiter, though that's at least partly my fault for not thinking to ask.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the answer, that is more or less what I was expecting. They've both seen me go from novice to private pilot, as well as a lot of personal development along the way. As a side note, Ive been forwarding the DD370 to everyone I've looked for LORs from. Is this inappropriate for professors and other character references who've seen me grow as a person? I feel that they can still write their letter in the given space, but the form gives them some direction as to what to write and they have the added bonus of being able to rate me in leadership categories. Is this the wrong idea and I should just have them write actual letters, or can this form be used for any reference? I wasn't given a whole lot of direction in terms of letters of recommendation in my brief conversation with my recruiter, though that's at least partly my fault for not thinking to ask.

The form can be used for any reference, I used to get LOR's in standard letter format, then NRC sent an email saying please use DD370's.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
You still use the DD370. In the remarks they'll just put "see attached letter" and attach the letter. Make sure both the form and letter are signed and dated.

exNavyOffRec

You still use the DD370. In the remarks they'll just put "see attached letter" and attach the letter. Make sure both the form and letter are signed and dated.

It is good to see they bought off on that again, they gave some pushback for a bit.

I also did my 4 LORS in that format. I had each person write a personal letter and then on the DD370 they put "please see attached." My OR said that was the best way to do it as you get the letter and the personality trait ratings all in one.