• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Odds..BDCP and SNA

Hey guys,

My name is Joshua Nelson and am an Aviation major at Liberty Univeristy. I know im jumping the gun just finishing my freshman year of college but I really really wanna fly. My GPA is like a 2.86 because I failed a class by missing 3 days when I could only miss 2, and what sucked about it is I had 2 doctors excuses which he wouldnt count. After this semester and retaking the class I should be up near a 3.5 to 3.8ish GPA. When I leave Liberty I will definatley have my comercial Liscense and probably CFI and CFII. Im running for Sophomore class president next semester which hopfully ill win. Im gonna try to get in other leadership spots as well in some clubs. I went to PLC Juniors this summer and got sent home for family problems after the 3rd week which sucked but o well. Im allowed to go back but honestly I think if rather be a naval officer and not have to deal with the basic school. So here comes the question...with a high 3 GPA and ASTB scores above all 6's (I got a 565 without studying so it shouldnt be a prob. gettin about that studying for a semester), an Av degree and leadership roles...what are my odds of getting selected SNA and BDCP? And another question...i did horrible on my SAT with about an 1060ish...do they use that for BDCP selections? Please help guys and info is appriciated cause im driving myself crazy trying to figure out what to do....my backup plans are ARMY helo piloting mabey the apache...but that would be leaving my love for jets and im sure yall understand.

HH-60, he said "after this semester and retaking the class." Guess he really plans on rocking out some big-credit courses this fall--a 1 pt. jump in GPA is huge...You mentioned BDCP, but are you eligible at all for NROTC up at UVA? I know Liberty has a cross-town agreement with UVA's AFROTC det; I'm not sure NROTC even offers such arrangements but it can't hurt to check out the NROTC website.

Nah they sure dont...and as for my GPA...I had a great one before failing that class due to absenses...so retaking it replaces that completely at my school...so itll go back up ALOT because it dropped it 1 whole point to start....and man unfortunately we dont have that X town agreement but I sure wish we did...I was in AFROTC for a day and decided that it WAS NOT for me lol....all respect to the AF but I want a bit more of a military life if you know what I mean.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Nah they sure dont...and as for my GPA...I had a great one before failing that class due to absenses...so retaking it replaces that completely at my school...so itll go back up ALOT because it dropped it 1 whole point to start....

Really? That doesn't make sense to me. So if someone, failed 10 courses and retook them all and got A's, he would have a 4.0? Honestly, I don't remember how it was when I was at school (I failed a couple classes), but that just doesn't seem right. Is that the same academic standard at other schools?

BigRed389

None
Really? That doesn't make sense to me. So if someone, failed 10 courses and retook them all and got A's, he would have a 4.0? Honestly, I don't remember how it was when I was at school (I failed a couple classes), but that just doesn't seem right. Is that the same academic standard at other schools?

Differs from school to school.

At mine, both grades, the fail and retake will show up on the transcript.

Some schools even let the retake wipe the fail off the transcript...on top of the F not being calculated in GPA.

If they failed 10 classes, they'd still take forever to graduate...you'd have to wonder why it took them about 6 years to graduate from a 4 year program.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
...what are my odds of getting selected SNA and BDCP?

...it's true. "What are my odds?" has become the new "What are my chances?"

The answer is: Nobody knows. It's like applying to a top college, you can have a good GPA and high SATs, but there are other factors which make it impossible to tell.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Differs from school to school.

At mine, both grades, the fail and retake will show up on the transcript.

Some schools even let the retake wipe the fail off the transcript...on top of the F not being calculated in GPA.

If they failed 10 classes, they'd still take forever to graduate...you'd have to wonder why it took them about 6 years to graduate from a 4 year program.

That is just so weird. I would think accreditation bodies would set a standard.

Also, completely deleting a failed course from a transcript seems like a lack of academic integrity. --I don't mean integrity as in lying outright or moral soundness, but rather not presenting a complete picture.-- And for that reason I would think accreditation bodies would demand it.

But again, I don't know either way, it just seems different than what I would expect.

Well sorry you guys think my school is immoral or whatever but regardless if yall can help with my questions instead of my school that would be appriciated...sorry I dont mean to be smart but im just worried about some things.

BigRed389

None
...it's true. "What are my odds?" has become the new "What are my chances?"

The answer is: Nobody knows. It's like applying to a top college, you can have a good GPA and high SATs, but there are other factors which make it impossible to tell.

He already answered your questions.

To be more specific some of the "other factors" I've been told about are how many spots are open when you apply and how good the other applicants look compared to you. And both of those are out of your hands.

NavyLonghorn

42? Im guessin thats a smart comment but if you meant something for real what does that mean?

The Answer.. to the Ultimate question.. of life.. the universe.. and everything.. is 42.

Now we just gotta figure out what the question is, and which one of us really, truly know where our towels are.

VGULIN

The Answer.. to the Ultimate question.. of life.. the universe.. and everything.. is 42.

Now we just gotta figure out what the question is, and which one of us really, truly know where our towels are.

I say the babel fish knows something but won't tell us...

And Carolina Cowboy, the joke they're making is from a hilarious sci-fi five part trilogy called The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.