• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ohau in September

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
Staying at the Hale Koa for a week.

What’s the gouge on things to do while in Hawaii?

Besides visiting Brett at PMRF.

Never been there always an east coast boat rider.🤣

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

I assume you will be staying in Honolulu? I'd say that getting out to Waikiki beach is worth the touristy-ness. If you like noodles, go have a late breakfast or late lunch at Maragume Udon (it's right next to our crew hotel, so I might be biased). The line goes out the door and around the entire block at peak eating times, so I try to avoid those. But it is worth the wait....

Sunset is pretty awesome there, no matter where you happen to find yourself.

I was like you and never did HI while in the navy, always east coast boats. But I've enjoyed doing Oahu and Maui in the airlines. My next door neighbors always went every year, and I just considered it to be lame, but after having been a bunch of times now, I kind of get it. Though summer is hot as balls, so I try to bid winter trips there only whenever possible, which is great when you live in the PNW!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Though you're always welcome on Kauai (sometimes you can grab a $39 inter-island fare), when I'm on Oahu, I really like the Kailua side, which is a little less "city" and a bit more chill. Really nice food & beverage scene. Pillbox is an iconic hike in that area. Hawaii Kai is also nice if you're looking to get away from Waikiki. The Kona Brewery is there, which is a fun spot to recharge after doing the Koko Crater Stairs hike... and there's also a Roy's restaurant for a slightly upscale dining experience. Also on the windward side, you can rent a kayak and paddle out to the sand bar in K-Bay, which is super fun.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Depending on where you stay, and if you are an early riser, head over to Braddah’s Coffee on Bellows Air Station and sip a cup of ordinary AAFES joe while watching the sun light up the coast.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
It’s always amazing to me how many people go all the way to Hawaii… to hang out in the city.

If you have a car, the North shore is better for a “small town” feel, and a lot less of the kitschy tourist traps you tend to get in Waikiki. Some gorgeous hiking up there.

robav8r

None
Contributor
One of the best beaches is on Hickman AFB. Right next to it is The Lanai at Mamala Bay, a great place for lunch and a great Mai Tai. Also the Dole Pineapple farm is pretty cool too. North shore has some amazing food truck parks with incredible food.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I really like the Kailua side, which is a little less "city" and a bit more chill. Really nice food & beverage scene. Pillbox is an iconic hike in that area.

To me, if on Oahu, this is Hawaii. The Windward Side really is the best place to hang out and it's where all of the movies and TV shows are shot. Kaneohe is a bit of a mess, but Kailua and Lanikai are iconic, as is the non-Kaneohe parts of Kaneohe Bay.

You can rent stuff to go to the Sandbar like Brett said, but you can also rent kayaks to go out to the Mokes off of Kailua.

It really depends on what you want and what you like for the visit. If you're a hiker or swimmer, go to the Windward side. If you want to see views, drive the perimeter. If you are a history buff, look for the museums (Pearl is only one place...there's other cultural centers around, too).

I've been back several times after living there and every time I left, I still felt like I had plenty to do if I came back again.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Though you're always welcome on Kauai (sometimes you can grab a $39 inter-island fare), when I'm on Oahu, I really like the Kailua side, which is a little less "city" and a bit more chill. Really nice food & beverage scene. Pillbox is an iconic hike in that area. Hawaii Kai is also nice if you're looking to get away from Waikiki. The Kona Brewery is there, which is a fun spot to recharge after doing the Koko Crater Stairs hike... and there's also a Roy's restaurant for a slightly upscale dining experience. Also on the windward side, you can rent a kayak and paddle out to the sand bar in K-Bay, which is super fun.
+1 on Kailua. Stayed there last time and enjoying the local culture was great. Pillbox hike is awesome.

Roadside shrimp stands are great.

+1 on perimeter drive as well.

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
Make the time for a soaring flight at Dillingham Field - you won’t regret it!