• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Old Missiles

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Your shitting me.... We stopped shooting Charlie Models in the Army a little while ago because they were so prone to going errant (like impersonating an ICBM errant) . We're up to shooting Fox's now for training purposes and most assumptions is the old SAL I seekers in War Reserve only have a couple years left before they are all useless.

Practice shots yes. Heard a few funny stories about them going crazy off the rails.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I heard a story about a -9M shoot with a missile losing its shit coming off the rail, and going after -2...

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Oh and I put lots of money all the old -54s have been chopped into a thousand pieces so none can end up in Iran.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
How about my favorite... AGM-12C "Bullpup", radio-controlled by Pilot - 2,ooo#/1,000# warhead beast. Fired 21 of these in combat, DEADLY accurate (although they barely scorched the famed "Dragon's Jaw" bridge at Thanh Hoa)! Now a big badboy 'Pup mailbox ought to give home invaders second thoughts!:eek:
*BzB preflightihg Bullpup-C on CVA-64, 10/06/67
View attachment 11846View attachment 11848View attachment 11847
BzB

Sounds like a bigger/badder version of the Walleye II. I remember viewing tapes brought back by guys from VN. If there happened to be a target of opportunity on the bridge, it got a slow moving surprise. As I recall, they were nuke capable.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about my favorite... AGM-12C "Bullpup", radio-controlled by Pilot - 2,ooo#/1,000# warhead beast. Fired 21 of these in combat, DEADLY accurate (although they barely scorched the famed "Dragon's Jaw" bridge at Thanh Hoa)! Now a big badboy 'Pup mailbox ought to give home invaders second thoughts!:eek:
*BzB preflightihg Bullpup-C on CVA-64, 10/06/67
View attachment 11848
BzB
BZ, BzB! Nice work! However, I am now insanely jealous. Our F-4Bs had a "Bullpup" panel, but it was not operational. :( Never fired one.

But what's worse, after reading your DFC citation is that I once dropped a span of the Dong Song Bypass bridge as a section lead. In fact it had been targeted later that day for an Alpha Strike off the Connie. Unfortunately, I didn't get squat for any award!

Of course being too busy/lazy to do the write-up for a medal might have had something to do with it too. :oops:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh and I put lots of money all the old -54s have been chopped into a thousand pieces so none can end up in Iran.

I would imagine that happens to most old missiles that aren't sold or recycled.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You get 2 or 3 of those and you could make one hell of a loveseat. . .
Hah, hell of an expensive 'loveseat'....back in their heyday (mid-late '60s), the "BabyPup" AGM-12B went for $35K per ea., "BigBro" -12C at $120K ea. (equiv. to ~$o.25M ea. in today's $$$)!:eek:
BzB

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I once dropped a span of the Dong Song Bypass bridge as a section lead. In fact it had been targeted later that day for an Alpha Strike off the Connie. Unfortunately, I didn't get squat for any award!
That's unfortunate, I recall that you once mentioned that your CAG-5, was very chintzy re. combat awards. The fine line between loose & tight awards criteria is hard to quantify. COs/CAGs are human & have their personal take on qual. for combat awards. Command awards interpretations criteria overly tight, is unfair to that command...OTOH, criteria too loose, is unfair to other same type commands. Finding that 'happy middle ground' is a crap shoot at best. I've found the awards subject to be a very sensitive and emotional subject here on AW, & elsewhere, so I'll leave further discussion of this, for another time/place.:eek:
Of course being too busy/lazy to do the write-up for a medal might have had something to do with it too. :oops:
Don't know 'bout that, the only time I ever heard of a Pilot politicing for, or attempting to write up their own awards, were laughed out the door. Must be a newer thing, like roughing up/submitting your own FITREP (which I was unfamiliar with, but was just coming into vogue when I retired).:confused:

*CatMan, you might want to check post on Main Forum - OCS v WOFT? thread; pg. 2 of 3 - post #47, last Para. re. Pfantum bombing in NVN.:cool:
BzB

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Must be a newer thing, like roughing up/submitting your own FITREP (which I was unfamiliar with, but was just coming into vogue when I retired).:confused:

Not sure to what extent you are talking about here, but that is the norm in my community (guessing others as well) now. Obviously as a JO the DH and front office will chop it but you do make the initial draft.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't know 'bout that, the only time I ever heard of a Pilot politicing for, or attempting to write up their own awards, were laughed out the door. Must be a newer thing, like roughing up/submitting your own FITREP (which I was unfamiliar with, but was just coming into vogue when I retired).:confused:
It wasn't politicing, although a few did sometimes. If it was only a two-plane section, the flight lead was supposed to initiate and write up the 1st draft of a proposed citation himself and then pass it on to AI for a chop among others within our airwing/squadron. An Alpha Strike was different of course, but I think the squadron element lead within an A-strike did the same.

But most write-ups got shot down. Awards were rare in our airwing. Thus people stopped bothering to even write them up, figuring it was just a waste of time unless it was something really extraordinary and widely recognized as such.

MasterBates

The write your own FITREP was the norm across all communities (HSL, VT, VAW) I was in from 2001-2012.

I always thought it was a cop out for COs who didn't know their JOs.. I can see the CO not knowing every JO on a CV.. But when you have 20 aircrew max, including the XO and hinges...

I know the argument is the CO's time is far more valuable, but what is really more valuable, selecting the future leaders, or having a weekly VTC with the Type Wing Commodore, three times a week?

In VRC/VQ/HSL/VP, I can see the CO/XO asking OICs for input.. But in my VAW squadron, I interacted with the CO almost daily.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like a bigger/badder version of the Walleye II. I remember viewing tapes brought back by guys from VN. If there happened to be a target of opportunity on the bridge, it got a slow moving surprise. As I recall, they were nuke capable.
It was... the major differences: Walleye was a glide (unpowered) weapon, smaller bang but deadly accurate when you had a high contrast aimpoint to lock onto (employed high-contrast lock on). Big advantage was once locked on, you could "shoot & scoot" (fire & forget), one great feature in a high threat area. A close friend of mine in VA-212 (one of only 2 Airpac Walleye Sqdns), told me it earned it's keep at the Hanoi power plant (which was struck continually over time, by both WE Sqdns). It had many windows on all sides of the huge plant, which offered perfect black/white contrast lock on from far out. Showed me video tape after tape gliding those babies right through a window. The only minor drawback there was BDA was scarce, as the major (deadly) damage was contained within & not visible by eye or RA-5C cameras. They knew they were successful when Hanoi's lights were not visible that night and longer...!:D

BullpupC had a much greater PUNCH, as it was a 1,000# warhead, liquid rocket powered up to mach 2.2, w/ only 2 sec. rocket motor burn. During that 2 sec., control was impossible due to poor visibility (rocket flame/smoke & all sorts of crap & corruption), and a no "G" restriction during 2 sec. rocket burn. At burnout, two red tracking flares ignite & the missile becomes a bright red dot controlled by a hand-size joy stick on the port console. The mini-stick is proportional control & works just like the A/C stick "up-down, left-right" & any combo in between.
Major drawback: High alt 10-12K' release- slow 300kt glide - wings absolutely level from release to impact (controlling to keep the red dot dead on aimpoint), No banking/jinking from release to impact. Most control inputs are UP due to gravity, Lor R for crosswinda & in between for the combo w/ swirling shifting winds. It's akin to aiming a gun/rifle... you can't anticipate impact, just keep red dot on aim point 'til BLAM..bye bye target!:D

P.S. The 'Big Pup' is a load. At one ton it cannot be launched from a missile rail like smaller A/C missiles. It must be carried & punched off like a MK-84 2k bomb. A 15' steel lanyard attached to the bomb rack, delays motor ignition until the Pup is well clear beneath, to prevent fire damage to BzB's ride home. The toughest part is seeing tracers whizzing by/flak puffs ahead & keeping wings level, working both "sticks", & longing to BREAKAWAY ...slam the throttle to overtemp... jinking & scooterin' to heaven, er 'feet wet'!:eek:
The end... BzB

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The write your own FITREP was the norm across all communities (HSL, VT, VAW) I was in from 2001-2012.
I always thought it was a cop out for COs who didn't know their JOs.. I can see the CO not knowing every JO on a CV.. But when you have 20 aircrew max, including the XO and hinges...
I know the argument is the CO's time is far more valuable, but what is really more valuable, selecting the future leaders, or having a weekly VTC with the Type Wing Commodore, three times a week?
In VRC/VQ/HSL/VP, I can see the CO/XO asking OICs for input.. But in my VAW squadron, I interacted with the CO almost daily.

What I told my JO's was that they needed to write their FitRep so they could learn how to do it.
Someday that JO will be a Department Head and will have to write/chop FitReps for the JO's and if it wasn't for writing my own FitRep, then I would never have done one before I was a DH.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure to what extent you are talking about here, but that is the norm in my community (guessing others as well) now. Obviously as a JO the DH and front office will chop it but you do make the initial draft.
Same as below, I was just unfamiliar with it. Fitreps were so sacred & secret in my time, you had to go to Bupers in person (in DC then) to reviw them . I only saw my file once during my career (X/C to ADW, a real eye-opener),;)
BzB
It wasn't politicing, although a few did sometimes. If it was only a two-plane section, the flight lead was supposed to initiate and write up the 1st draft of a proposed citation himself and then pass it on to AI for a chop among others within our airwing/squadron. An Alpha Strike was different of course, but I think the squadron element lead within an A-strike did the same.

But most write-ups got shot down. Awards were rare in our airwing. Thus people stopped bothering to even write them up, figuring it was just a waste of time unless it was something really extraordinary and widely recognized as such.
Wasn't knocking it at all, just wasn't familiar with it.:)

MasterBates

Not disagreeing Lumpy, but on the other hand I never got a good brief or was told what boards "Want to see" until I was a retread in Kingsville. I had 3 of 4 COs in HSL land who had been BUPERS guys as senior LTs/LCDRs, and not once do I remember an AOM/Training on "this is what is good, this is what is bad, and why".. Maybe a 4-5 minute part of the FITREP debrief if you were even there (for the non HSL familiar, your CO does not deploy, so if you are deployed during periodics, you get what your OIC fights for mostly)

CAPT Bulis, CAPT Finn and CDR Mundy (Bulis was VT-21 CO, but had been a 121 JO, Finn and Mundy were COs at 121 during my tour) all sat JOPA down, and described what is good, what is bad, and why. A bit of too little, too late for me, but they all did a great service for their JOs and DHs by actually going over the board feedbacks and such with the wardroom.

For the record, the only periodic #1 EP I had was written by a member of this board, and when I went to turn my self written FITREP in, he told me "it's taken care of". A prime example of a leader knowing his people, and knowing what the board needed to see. No fluff, no BS, because I had done enough to warrant a good FITREP with no filler.