• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

One-Quarter of P-3s Grounded

Slim

http://www.defence.pk/forums/military-aviation/9146-p-3s-grounded-till-further-notice.html

This recent article states that about 1/4 of the Navy's P-3s are downed due to structural fatigue in the wings, and projections are 18 to 24 months to get them repaired. My question for those who are in the know of the P-3 community are:

1. How will the affect the community as a whole?
2. Will pilots be getting less flight hours?
3. Is this affecting both VP and VQ or is one community being affected more than the other?

I'm currently in Primary in Corpus Christi, TX and will be selecting in a month. For a long time I was leaning heavily towards P-3s, but I'm highly reconsidering my decision towards jets or helos instead. Since initial projections for the P-8 are not until 2011-2013, would it be wise to say that I will not get a chance at seeing it in my first sea tour? As of current, how many flight hours are pilots in both VP and VQ averaging at the conclusion of their first sea tour?

Any input would be helpful. I'm really torn in the path to take and I'm constantly told, "You will have fun no matter what you fly." But the question is, what do I want to have fun doing?

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
1. How will the affect the community as a whole?

In several ways. Obviously we're losing aircraft to either train with or deploy/det with. One of the biggest changes Admiral Prindle, the MPR group commander, mentioned in an Admirals call, was that there will be reduced numbers of planes overseas. Meaning that the current squadrons on surge status will be bringing their airplanes and crews home.

Another thing that is being looked at is further limits being placed on AOB and G limits to preserve the airframes we do have.

2. Will pilots be getting less flight hours?

Probably but they're not sure how much less. Again, Admiral Prindle mentioned that certain events that have traditionally been done in the plane, like instrument check rides, can be done in the new level D simulators. For things like that, the sims are great but I don't see how they're going to be able to get around the in plane flight training requirements too much.

3. Is this affecting both VP and VQ or is one community being affected more than the other?

Just VP right now. On the downside, the VQ guys will be flying the EP-3 long after P-8 has started to show up. There's mention of a replacement aircraft for the EP-3 but I don't know how far along those plans are.

4. Since initial projections for the P-8 are not until 2011-2013, would it be wise to say that I will not get a chance at seeing it in my first sea tour?

Yes. Baring something really strange you should have your wings by the end of the year if you go the P-3 route. That puts you, at a minimum, two years early to fly the P-8. However, you may have a better shot of flying it as a department head because there will be more of them around by the time your at that stage compared to JOs in the P-3 world right now.

5. As of current, how many flight hours are pilots in both VP and VQ averaging at the conclusion of their first sea tour?

That, I will have to defer to someone who's done this a lot longer than I have. I'm sure you could ask any one of the myriad of P-3 pilots that are in your primary squadron.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
If you get a thousand hours after your first tour, you'll be lucky. 5 or 6 years ago, that would have been double. Squadrons are scrambling to get the requisite hours, (used to be 700 for PPC, now is waiverable down to 650, and will probably be at 600 eventually) after 24 months in the command.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Here is a question for you P-3 folks: With the P-3 community being in this state of transition/uncertainty would you recommend it for studs selecting over the next year? Would you select it again as of right now?

Not sure if I worded the question right but I think you can get the general idea of what I am asking.

Perhaps there is nothing going on and this is an invalid question?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
That's disgusting

hey jerky, you already know how I feel. Oh...you were talking about PM loads?? I thought you were calling me disgusting because I wasn't sharing with the forum. I'll be the first to admit....that sounded real bad.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Here is a question for you P-3 folks: With the P-3 community being in this state of transition/uncertainty would you recommend it for studs selecting over the next year? Would you select it again as of right now?

Not sure if I worded the question right but I think you can get the general idea of what I am asking.

Perhaps there is nothing going on and this is an invalid question?

As has been said over, and over, and over, and over, and....(well you get the point). Each community has it good and bad sides. Would I select P-3s again knowing what I do now: yes, probably, but I like flying the War Pig.

Besides, your selection choices may not matter that much in the end anyway. Sometimes you select a community, and sometimes it selects you. Not a whole lot of sense in getting an ulcer over it.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None

It is poking fun at the recent grounding of a large percentage of the F-15C fleet due to longeron cracking, and the resultant conspiracy theorists who claim it was all a play to get the AF to buy more Raptors.