• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oregon Aero Zetaliners

powder

Anybody have any first-hand experience with the Oregon Aero Zetaliner helmet liners? Do they make a significant improvement in comfort/temperature? Bottom line, are the worth the ~$90 that they cost? Thanks.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
get one from your PRs
they have NSN numbers and are in the supply system

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Squadron got them for all of us plus the kits for our ground troops cranials. All I can say is they are "SWEEEEET".

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
SNA's dont rate them unless your helmet really doesnt fit and there isnt any other way to make it fit comfortably. (Or you are really nice to your PR's hint hint). As for them being worth it. Definately! The problem with buying them on your own is that they come in many different sizes and it depends on your helmet and your head. So if you are in a training command, at least ask what size might fit you, or test fit one. I love mine!! Leaps and bounds about the glorified bubble wrap.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I concur,

You'd do best to quietly offer a PR a squadron t-shirt or similar and mention you are getting real bad hot spots with your current helmet liner.

Combined that with a pleasant attitude and good sense of humor and you could easily get a new liner.

PRs are people, too. Plus, your life really is in their hands...

r/
G

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Took me till my last 3 weeks in advanced to finally get it, but it was worth it. Got the liner and earcaps. All the guys I know are pissed they are still stuck with bubble wrap. Now Im just trying to get the eaplug/mic rig from the PR's out here in North Island.

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any of the old guys remember helmet pours? Talk about a crappy heavy hot spot making helmet.

Had a guy in my squadron who's helmet pour leaked and he had bald spots where his hair was pulled out in tufts all over his head...

His new Delta Chi Callsign: Chemo

r/
G

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Helmet pours??? As in "form-fit" helmets?? Ahhhhh ..... Progress. You guys today are so lucky to have the decent equipment you possess. It's all relative .....

Helmet pours were an "advanced system mod" when I was in ..... We used what I think was the PRK-37/P which was designed in the late '60's (?). Fiberglass cloth molded with epoxy resin and a foam liner. Two sizes: medium and large. Final fitting was accomplished with moveable/removeable sticky foam "spacers".

Very sophisticated. :icon_smil And very close to what I think the P-3 community uses today ..... ???

hgu47p1.jpg
germanhelmet0tv.jpg

No wonder so many helmets and heads were lost on ejection ....:)

SteveG75

None
Schnuggapup said:
Any of the old guys remember helmet pours? Talk about a crappy heavy hot spot making helmet.

Had a guy in my squadron who's helmet pour leaked and he had bald spots where his hair was pulled out in tufts all over his head...

His new Delta Chi Callsign: Chemo

r/
G

Oh yeah, the old HGU-33. Remember the old foam spacers you had before you got to the RAG and got the helmet pour.

Then we got the HGU-55 (?) for the NVG mod with the nape strap. That got replaced with an HGU-86 when I got to Prowlers so I still have the HGU-55 with my Intruder colors sitting on my bookcase.

As for the poured liners, they don't help keep your helmet on. Lost my HGU-33 in an ejection. Visor up (working the radar), mask on, strap may have been fastened. Helmet was still ripped off my head. They figure my mask hit the canopy bow since a piece of it was still attached to the oxygen hose. :eek:

Rest of the story will cost beer, though Schnugg may have heard of it. Hint: Never fly with a AF guy who says "Watch this". (Thumping)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
Rest of the story will cost beer, though Schnugg may have heard of it. Hint: Never fly with a AF guy who says "Watch this". (Thumping)
Hey Meat, you going to the Ball and/or Hook?

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just to chime in...

I love my Zetaliner, and recommend them, along w/ the earcups. However, if you're still in the training command, I'd wait until you're in advanced, when you know what kind of helmet you are going to wear. The liners are a bit different from the jet helmet to the helo helmet, so you might have to "aquire" a new one if you change helmets (or just become one of those P-3 pukes who don't wear them). Otherwise, the bubblewrap is livable for the 16-20 weeks of primary.

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My first helmet was what A4s described. A rock hard liner that had some padding. I swear I had a dent on my head above my brow from it. Form fit were just coming into their own at that time. So I got one of those a year later. Got a HGU-65 in the early 90s. What a change.

I can tell you if you think bubble wrap liner is bad, try the old stuff we flew with...lots of weight...imagine it under 6.5 gs. I now have a 17.5" neck....all muscle, baby.

Yes, I did know a few USAF exchange pilots flying A-6s...hmmm. Was it VA-95 on the Enterprise, CVW-11?

Cheers,
G

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
A4sForever said:
Helmet pours??? As in "form-fit" helmets?? Ahhhhh ..... Progress. You guys today are so lucky to have the decent equipment you possess. It's all relative .....
Remember it well...trip to the PR shop to get "fitted" involved sitting down with an old helmet with (I sh!t you not) cabinet door handles tapped in w/ screws and a hole in the top of the helmet to let them literally "pour" that mixture in. In the meantime, you've got to keep this jury-rigged helmet pulled down by the handles to make sure it forms correctly against your skull. Nothing like having hotspots later and watching the PRs pound them down w/ a ball-peen hammer. The 55's were a nice improvement - lighter, cooler, and given the change to the -65 a few years later mine also makes for a nice bookcase display (complete w/ sqaudron colors like Meat's :icon_mi_1 ). We were just starting to get the Zetaliners when I transferred last year, so no soup for me... :(

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another good mod to get from the PR's is the CEP (Communication Ear Pieces). It's an optional mod to most helmet models. We had it in the S-3 and I still have it in the C-2. It's foamie earplugs that have mini speakers in them so you literally only hear the ics/radios. All outside noise is blocked out. The foamie portion is disposable so they aren't gross after a while.

SteveG75

None
Schnuggapup said:
Yes, I did know a few USAF exchange pilots flying A-6s...hmmm. Was it VA-95 on the Enterprise, CVW-11?

VA-95, CVW-11, actually off the Abraham Lincoln at the time. 8 Sep 1993. Same cruise where VF-213 had a ramp strike.