• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oregon Aero Zetaliners

East

东部
Contributor
Post a Pic of your (previous or current) Flight Helmet

Is anyone willing to post a pic of their (previous) flight helmets?
I love the USN policy to tape helmets with 3M reflective tape and squadron markings. It's more identifing with your personality than the grey all standard Air Force HGU-55's...

Q: Is every aviator decorating his/her own helmet or is the survival chief responsible for that (i.e. regulations etc?) :confused:

phrogpilot73

HooverPilot said:
Another good mod to get from the PR's is the CEP (Communication Ear Pieces). It's an optional mod to most helmet models. We had it in the S-3 and I still have it in the C-2. It's foamie earplugs that have mini speakers in them so you literally only hear the ics/radios. All outside noise is blocked out. The foamie portion is disposable so they aren't gross after a while.
Agree wholeheartedly with this recommendation. There's no NSN for them, but they can be open purcased. We had them installed when we were in Iraq. Ground turned yesterday for the first time without them (I can't wear regular foamies with my helmet, can't hear ICS/radios) and was AMAZED at the level of noise I was accustomed to prior to the CEP. GREAT piece of gear.

As for PRs/Flight E guys, after you're in your first squadron don't go to the Flight E SNCO/Chief. They're usually going to be the sticklers for the rules. A wink, nod, and a 12 pack of favorite beverage goes along way with the younger guys. Plus, treat those guys right (don't EVER call them stitch b!tches, like most of the squadron), and you'll come to check out your flight gear and find out that they tweaked your helmet cover, added some art to your cranial, want to double check that your vest is fit correctly after going to MALS, etc... You'd be surprised how far just stopping by Flight E (even when you're not flying) to shoot the $hit about girlfriends, wives, strip clubs, etc... will add to your comfort when flying.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I fully second Phrog on this. Sometimes the PRs/AWs/<fill in Marine name> do it out of "duty." But most of the time they do the extra helmet work because they try and hook someone up who's taken care of them. I came in one day to find a huge gator on the back of my helmet. When I found out who did it, I was very appreciative, but I also had an inkling that I had "earned" the work and time he put into it, and it wasn't just a gimme.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
gatordev said:
But most of the time they do the extra helmet work because they try and hook someone up who's taken care of them. QUOTE]

That's the truth - but there are PR's who'll "go the distance" because they seem to genuinely enjoy their jobs. As the Spy I had no impact on their work center quality of life, but they hooked me up anyway. The case of beer that magically appeared in the PR loft probably didn't hurt, either.

BTW, the Zetaliners are great - except when your helmet gets left in the cold for an extended period. Imagine an ice cream headache, from the outside in...

Attachments

• PICT0004 (WinCE).JPG
    PICT0004 (WinCE).JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 289

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's true too. Sometimes the PRs may like doing their jobs, they're just so damn busy, they don't get a chance to do the special things.

Attachments

• HelmetGator.jpg
    HelmetGator.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 239

phrogpilot73

Sometimes it's what they don't do that counts. i.e. - I liked my chocolate chip desert cammie helmet cover (we don't do the reflective tape thing), and the CO directed that all helmet covers be the new digital desert. They conveinently took their sweet a$$ time getting to mine. The result? Back from deployment, and the only guy with a chocolate chip desert cammie helmet cover...

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Our FltE guys are having to open purchase the Zeta liners and we all know how 'quick' open purchase is...

East

东部
Contributor
Great Work

Great work Flyinspy & Gatordev for your contribution in showing your flighthelmet.....Must be way more out there!
Bring 'em on guys, everyone in the squadron know's who's yours, but not overhere in Mainland Europe.

Show them off, I am really curious how fleetguys helmets look like. Guess "Top Gun" (-movie '86) paintjobs on the helmets are fictious aren't they?