• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Osprey

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Now say one engine goes down. Both rotors are working with less power, but life isn't too bad. What I am curious about is the electrical situation. Is there a generator attached to the accessory section of both engines? Is there an APU for backup power?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Yes, there is an APU. Each nacelle has a gearbox that turns a generator, and there are generators in the midwing as well. All these will turn if the proprotors are turning. Also, if one fails they will crosstie in various combinations to power the appropriate buses that normally run on power from a particular generator.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
In the sense that they are accessories off the transmissions vice the engines, yes. However, there are permanent magnet generators on the engines that drive a few key electrical components as well.

A.Kuettel

For you guys that fly the v-22, what do you think about the platform? Is it good enough to eventually replace the rest of the helos in the fleet?

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
To my knowledge, I am the only Osprey guy that posts here, though I know of at least one lurker.

I am a previous CH-46E pilot. The Osprey is a phenomenal medium-lift aircraft. Its advantages become even more apparent when one starts employing it in accordance with its capabilities, vice as just a really fast helo. I don't think this phase will make it into a Bell-Boeing brochure, but it should: this aircraft seriously kicks ass. You look out the window, see the nacelles come down, and think to yourself, "Wow, it's a good day at the office."

It won't replace the "rest of the helos in the fleet," only the 46 and 53D, because it can't lift the oversize loads of a CH-53E or carry the weapons loadout of a Huey or Cobra. Someday....maybe.....:yawn_125:

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Is it possible to tilt the rotors to a point where the Osprey would make a convential airplane landing?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So as I watched the Osprey demo at the Miramar Airshow... I wondered... is there a computer safety or somesuch that prevents a cluto pilot from rotating the nacelles fully forward while turning on the ground?

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
It will land conventionally with the rotors tilted at 70 deg. or so. (I don't remember the exact number but I assume someone can either look it up or give the right number.)

The rotors will hit the ground if they were level while the aircraft was on the ground.

Carno

Insane
Is there a squat switch or something which prevents the rotors from being tilted 90 degrees while on the ground?