• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Other Ways to Serve

LittleAl

Hey guys,

I had a question I wanted to ask some experienced military guys and this seemed like one of the higher IQ forums out there, so I thought I'd ask here.

I recently tried to join the military but was told that, because I have a history of asthma, I wasn't qualified. Now, I'm taking the steps to get around that, but I don't think it will work. So, my question is, if I can't join, what are some other ways I can get involved with the military or otherwise? For reference, I'm 26, generally in good shape, with a degree from a top school in a useless subject (History). Right now, my top priority is finding a career of some nature.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Alex

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey guys,

I had a question I wanted to ask some experienced military guys and this seemed like one of the higher IQ forums out there, so I thought I'd ask here.

I recently tried to join the military but was told that, because I have a history of asthma, I wasn't qualified. Now, I'm taking the steps to get around that, but I don't think it will work. So, my question is, if I can't join, what are some other ways I can get involved with the military or otherwise? For reference, I'm 26, generally in good shape, with a degree from a top school in a useless subject (History). Right now, my top priority is finding a career of some nature.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Alex

Intelligence agencies are hiring, and they like History majors for some jobs. Just be forewarned though, it sometimes takes a long time to go through the hiring process, it averages 9 months for new employees at the CIA and would be similar for other agencies due to security clearances. Another thing to be aware of, the vast majority of jobs are in the DC area with all of the good and bad associated. Here are some links on the Intelligence Community and all its members:

http://www.intelligence.gov/index.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Intelligence_Community

The agencies that you would want to look at are the service intel agencies (smaller), the CIA and the DIA (bigger). They are the ones that have analysts and would more likely want a History major.

You obviously would want to look at the entry level jobs, if they ask for the 'grade' or GS/GG level during a search, put in GG/GS-7 through 10. GG/GS-8 is roughly equivalent to an O-1 in the military. Most jobs are posted here:

http://www.usajobs.gov/

If you have any more particular questions, PM me. Good luck!

robav8r

None
Contributor
So, my question is, if I can't join, what are some other ways I can get involved with the military or otherwise?
Alex

USAJOBS is excellent. Every branch of military service has civilian job opportunities that you can find on USAJOBS or on that branch of service website. Also, other govt. agencies such as Department of Homeland Security, Department of Transportation, FAA, etc advertise jobs as well. If nothing else, build your profile on USAJOBS and post your resume as well. Then, get smart on the federal hiring process and all the paperwork that goes along with it. Good Luck !!!

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
this seemed like one of the higher IQ forums out there, so I thought I'd ask here.
Flattery will take you far around here... :D

But seriously, I echo both the previous posters' ideas. Also, serving as a law enforcement officer at the federal, state, or local level is an honorable way to serve.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Oh man do I have some ideas for you.

A history major is not useless. With that employers who have a clue will see that you have analytical capabilities as well as respect for things that have past so you may actually do your homework when a problem comes your way.

Anyways the CIA is definitely an option like the guy stated above but....you could pretty much apply for anything with a Do in front of it.

DoT, DoC, DoS, etc etc. They generally all have some sort of intelligence sector. Or you could consider taking the foreign service exam and become a Foreign Service Officer with the Department of State. They really need people in Iraq. Sounds terrible but I've heard that embassy is great.

Just remember that even if you can't be in the military you can still serve the country through the numerous civil service jobs out there.

snake020

Contributor
Also, serving as a law enforcement officer at the federal, state, or local level is a honorable way to serve.

Usually.

Farva.jpg

Rothman

pilot
I recently tried to join the military but was told that, because I have a history of asthma, I wasn't qualified. Now, I'm taking the steps to get around that, but I don't think it will work.

Do you still have asthma? I had it when I was a kid but took a test at MEPS that confirmed that I didn't have it anymore. I think it was called the Methacholine Challenge Test? Something like that... Good luck

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I just want to say that this thread is many many times better than the "what can the Navy do for ME?" thread. Kudos to the OP for a desire to serve his country as best he can.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I just want to say that this thread is many many times better than the "what can the Navy do for ME?" thread. Kudos to the OP for a desire to serve his country as best he can.

I second that.

mttaggart

This might count as a threadjack, but I thought it was worth bringing out anyhow. Unfortunately Alex, this one course doesn't apply to you because of the History degree (not useless by the way, just like my English degree), but anyone going the science way--especially with physics or a good deal of math--might want to check out the NOAA Corps.

http://www.noaacorps.noaa.gov/recruiting/entryreq.html

As you might know, NOAA maintains the smallest corps of commissioned officers in the United States. Their organization is akin to the Navy rank-wise. The jobs seem pretty cool. From researching the Arctic, to flying into hurricanes. As a sidenote, NOAA also has a great photo library of storms and lightning strikes. Y'know, while you're there.

Also, I've heard that internships are a great way to get your foot in the door at places like the CIA, FBI...even ONI. Problem with that, of course, is that once you're graduated you're not really eligible for the internship. Unless you find one that only requires you to be a part time student and you go and sign up for a course or two at the local community college before applying. Just my .02, but it might be worth looking into.

Good luck, and all my admiration and respect for your desire to serve.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I know california has a state military reserve. Check to see if your state has something similiar.

bobbybrock

None
LittleAl,
It is noble that you'd like to serve in some capacity. Serving in the GS realm isn't a bad gig. I'm a GS type and I still get to fly. You won't make millions, but you already know that. Most of the three letter agency's are recruiting big time these days. Good luck and stay persistent.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Also, I've heard that internships are a great way to get your foot in the door at places like the CIA, FBI...even ONI. Problem with that, of course, is that once you're graduated you're not really eligible for the internship. Unless you find one that only requires you to be a part time student and you go and sign up for a course or two at the local community college before applying. Just my .02, but it might be worth looking into.

The CIA allows intern applicants that are working on their masters, and they are actually one of the better agencies as far as compensating their interns. I had a friend go that route and it worked out very well for him.