• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Over There

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone seen the commercials on TV for FX network's new show "Over There"? Looks pretty good, about the ongoing war in Iraq.

Starts on 27 July.

Disclaimer for Webmaster: This is a TV series directly related to the current war in Iraq. May not be aviation, but it's about military and it sure affects many of us on a daily basis. :) in effect

OverThere.jpg

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Saw the first one about a month ago where a girl is listening to music in a "livingroom" then all hell breaks loose...impressed the hell out of me.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I read about it in Newsweek (maybe TIME?) and seen the previews/commericals and it seems like it has real potential. We haven't really had a TV series (soley) based on our current war. I'll certainly be watching at least the first few episodes.

nugget81

pilot
Yeah, this one has my interest also. I'll be sure to watch at least the first one. I just hope that they don't butcher the whole job...

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
DanMav1156 said:
I read about it in Newsweek (maybe TIME?) and seen the previews/commericals and it seems like it has real potential. We haven't really had a TV series (soley) based on our current war. I'll certainly be watching at least the first few episodes.

Newsweek...the same one with the article on hearing loss. It's sitting in the magazine rack in my bathroom. Apparently the first guy to die in the pilot episode is killed while using the bathroom.

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
looks to be interesting. But TV channels still manage to suprise me with how badly they can make a good concept.

Kobyra

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Starts tomorrow night??? It would be good to have a no B.S. portrayal of our military "Over There" ... and yes, it might even be "interesting" to see how a bunch of Hollywood liberals portray the conflict in the Middle East --- any bets??? Steven Bochco and Chris Gerolmo are brand names in Hollywood and may have a long resume in film production, but you wanna guess how many of the cast or crew have ever worn the uniform ??? Ever served??? Ever done anything besides serve themselves ... ???

One of the "shots" from the trailer has an M-16 ejecting a shell casing from the left side of the receiver --- good detail --- that should tell you something. I'm not holding my breath ..... :) ....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I noticed that "lefty" M-16 too. Gotta be an editing room flip from whoever made the commercial. Hopefully that kind of mistake isn't made in the show.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Some of FX's shows are pretty good, The Shield anyone? I'll give it a shot, unless I'm flying an RI flight which looks highly likely.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I'm really hoping that its going to be a good show. I hope I'm not let down. My guess is that its going to be more about "emotional stuff" more than "war stuff", but I hope its not some punk director thinking that hes creative and trying to make a statement.

Jenmarie

Demons are cute when they sleep!
Contributor
Posted on Tue, Jul. 26, 2005

R E L A T E D C O N T E N T

Robert Zuckerman
From left, Luke MacFarlane, Nicki Aycox, Josh Henderson, Kirk "Sticky" Jones, and Lizette Carrion in "Over There."

How will 'Over There' go over over here?

New FX drama is about soldiers in Iraq -- yes, the war that is still going on

BY R.D. HELDENFELS

Akron Beacon Journal

SOMEWHERE IN THE HILLS OUTSIDE LOS ANGELES - The temperature was in the triple digits last week in the Los Angeles area, baking some small buildings and the workers remodeling them for another scene in a new drama.

In those buildings, and in an open area where military vehicles were parked, producer Steven Bochco was bringing the Iraq war to California, and by extension to America's TV homes.

This is where filming goes on for "Over There," a drama set among soldiers in the Iraq war and their families at home.

Premiering at 10 p.m. Wednesday on FX, "Over There" is graphic, raw-talking and for the most part very good. That becomes especially true once it gets past the story-establishing of the first episode to meatier and more specific explorations of the characters and their situation. Its characters are varied, their emotional arcs multilayered.

But even before it aired, "Over There" began carrying baggage that it did not need.

For starters, it is being called the first TV series set during a war while that war is in progress. That description is less important than it sounds.

American culture is laced with attempts by popular artists to portray an ongoing conflict -- novels about Vietnam, say, or combat movies during World War II. However explicitly M*A*S*H was set in Korea, its dramatic arcs reflected the nation's preoccupation with Vietnam.

And it's not as if television has ignored America's condition in Iraq and the wider war on terrorism. Other upcoming TV projects include: "Inside 9/11," a National Geographic Channel special about the disaster, which premieres Aug. 21; "Off to War," a series following National Guardsmen in Iraq and their families back in Arkansas, on Discovery Times Channel in October; and"The Flight That Fought Back," which reflects on 9/11's United Airlines Flight 93, on Sept. 11 on the Discovery Channel.

Even a press conference about a Showtime anthology of short films by horror directors touched on the current dilemma. Asked about the state of horror, director Stuart Gordon said, "I think there's a real boom... and my theory is, it's a result of 9/11.... There's so much tension in the world that people need to a chance to get it out of their systems."

So let's set aside whether "Over There" is the first anything. And let's try to do likewise with the whole question of the show's politics.

At a press conference in an air-conditioned tent on a hill overlooking the show's set, one reporter wondered out loud if a military action at the end of the third episode had a political underpinning. (I would disagree.) Another asked Bochco and Chris Gerolmo, the co-creators of the show, how they felt about the real Iraq war.

"I'm not even going to answer the question," Bochco said. "I don't want to politicize the show in any way.... I think the moment you take a political position, you're not doing what art is supposed to do, which is to ask provocative questions.

"You know, the moment you take a political position, you're providing answers. And, inevitably, when you provide answers, half the people say, 'Well, gee, that's the wrong answer.' And suddenly you're involved in a debate... and nobody is paying attention to, you know, the fundamental drama."

Of course, art sometimes does take a position. And you could argue that the mere act of putting on this show at this time is political -- because viewers will bring their political opinions to the watching of "Over There."

FX president John Landgraf has said that "Over There" fits with FX dramas "The Shield," "Nip/Tuck" and "Rescue Me" because "they were all set in contemporary America and they were all about contemporary American issues and reality." But they are also art. Over There finally has to be judged as art, or at least entertainment.

And when we get to that point, we find a show that works.

Not always easily. The first episode may be the weakest of the three I have seen.

Of course, it has to set up the rest of the show. It has to establish a large ensemble of characters in several different locations. And it has to do so while dealing with the "helmet problem" facing wartime dramas, where it's hard to tell soldiers apart under their gear.

There are later flaws as well. The show's closing theme song makes sense in the first episode -- which puts the lyrics in context -- but seems out of place in later telecasts.

Still, once the show is up and running, it stands a good chance of hooking viewers. An episode about running a roadblock is tension-filled and terrifying. Another, involving an extended interrogation of a prisoner, does indeed raise questions about how to conduct aspects of this war -- and leaves the viewers choosing their own answers.

Through the stories at home, the series also has a narrative arc that has nothing to do with the nitty-gritty of combat and everything to do with the impact of it.

"The moment you look at the domestic side... is when you begin to see the way in which what goes on in one venue has profound impact in another venue," Bochco said. "That becomes a tremendous source of storytelling. And it's those kinds of elements in the show that give me the confidence that we can do this show over the long haul."

I can even see it following the characters long after things are over "over there."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R.D. Heldenfels writes about television for the Beacon Journal and in an online blog through www.ohio.com. He is on assignment in California. Messages can be left at 330-996-3582 or rheldenfels@thebeaconjournal.com.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Jenmarie said:
For starters, it is being called the first TV series set during a war while that war is in progress. That description is less important than it sounds.

My favorite part.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
Maybe that's 'cause "arc" is the appropriate word to use in such a context. That would be like me saying, "Wow, Fly Navy loves the word 'the'." ;)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cate said:
Maybe that's 'cause "arc" is the appropriate word to use in such a context. That would be like me saying, "Wow, Fly Navy loves the word 'the'." ;)

It may be, I'm just pointing out that there was a strong use of the word. This is why man created synonyms :)