• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-8 Video Story

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I saw an artist's rendering of the P-8 and it had 'winders hanging under the wings.

Of course, it also had blended winglets, so I took it with the requisite amount of salt.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
That would be a new one. That's the last airplane I want to take into a dog fight. Ok, maybe not the last, that would actually be the P-3.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
yea, not going to lie, this plane looks pretty sweet. I'm amped to be going to the VP world with a decent chance of flying this bad boy.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
That would be a new one. That's the last airplane I want to take into a dog fight. Ok, maybe not the last, that would actually be the P-3.
Come on now, the P-3 has proven it can yank and bank:D You might shit a spar here and there but it will still fly.

Flugelman

Contributor

"Pilot to IFT, that last Atoll took out our radar and UHF. Think you can get it get it working???" :eek:

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
The P-3 is actually more maneuverable than the P-8. I wouldn't want to fly either in a dog fight. The P-8 does have a lot more get up and go, however.

I didn't see sidewinders on the wings in that video, they looked like 'poons to me. Lots of inaccurate things in that video, but it was amusing.

The P-8 will definitely rock in some ways. But leave no doubt in your mind, the old girl is still quite capable.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No, I mean physically off the runway, like crossing the hold short line so the rest of the world can continue w/ it's life rather than debriefing the abort at the end of the runway. Just seems to be one of several traits of P-3s that I've encountered over time, and one that was of particular note today.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None

The Brit's modified their Nimrods to the MR2 standard and gained the ability to shoot Sidewinders. Not exactly something you would want to take to a fight, but it gives you an option other than waving if you come across a hostile marpat.

nimrod-sidewinder.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^
They do it on The Rock as well... at least it seems like they do.
Hrm . . . I've seen them sitting IN the hold short for inordinate amounts of time, but they've always seemed to depart the runway fairly expeditiously to me.

Of course by the time they do so, there are these funny lights blinking at the tops of the arresting gear engines . . . :icon_tong

In all fairness, I recently caught up with my cousin, who is a P-3 hinge type/S-3 retread. I was enlightened as to a lot of the hassles those guys face with such a huge crew. It's easier to translate hearing it from a former TACAIR type who is still on his first sips of different flavored Kool-Aid.