• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P3 vs P8 Question

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
If I recall, the Nimrod had some radar based gadget that could keep track of their pattern without the endless MOT/OTPI drill. I agree that ASW is the most important function of MMA, but until it comes back into vogue, I'm afraid it won't be the subject of a whole lot of leading edge technological innovation. I just hope it doesn't take a sunk capital ship to remind us of the importance of ASW.

Brett

And lets not forget, the regions we find ourselves operating in play to the strong suits of these:

SHIP_SSK_INS_Leviathan_lg.jpg

Not these:

ddg51-burke.jpg

How deep is the Sunda Platform again???

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
FWIW, I flew UIII and I never once saw it used.

Brett
I used it a few times when we were tracking from altitude (above 20K) where the MOTs weren't very accurate. It could sort out a bouy pattern to the right relative geometry/position if you had a screwed up plot but it took a while. Quicker than buoy inserting/MOT every buoy. It either worked or it didn't. 50-50.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Originally Posted by zab1001
You're asking a lot of very specific questions that I'd bet someone at NAVAIR has considered.

Maybe... Mabye not... But you can be sure that if they haven't considered it, and someone else brings it up - it must not be valid...

We'll tell the next CG alternate that a lightning strike is about to open up another slot....

Congrats on the transition - a buddy of mine from my first squadron did it and was very happy.

phrogpilot73

We'll tell the next CG alternate that a lightning strike is about to open up another slot....

Congrats on the transition - a buddy of mine from my first squadron did it and was very happy.
To clarify - I was referring to the straight-up (never did anything but engineering) engineers there. I've butted heads with a couple...

Thanks - I'm really looking forward to it. I've never met someone who didn't like it!

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately, NAVAIR is yet another example of good people trying to do good things within the framework of a bureaucracy. Not impossible, but apparently harder than it looks.

phrogpilot73

Unfortunately, NAVAIR is yet another example of good people trying to do good things within the framework of a bureaucracy. Not impossible, but apparently harder than it looks.
Excellent point... Most of the head butting involved the whole "contracting" process...

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
And I am not meaning to imply that my end of the world isn't part of the problem: whether it is NAVAIR, DCMA, the test world at Pax, or the "customers" at the PMA's, we all have rules that were put in place as part of valid lessons learned with the best of intentions, that sometimes seem to make us work more to give the Fleet less.

But on the bright side, I am still in the cockpit, so the system must be doing something right.