• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

parent & Complete noob

megabork

Hey.

My daughter got a letter stating she had done well on a test and NROTC would like to meet her,She does well in school 4.0 grades, ap courses etc,varsity volleyball,community service. She was already going to go to a four year college regardless .

the question is, how good of an option is this for a women? and what are her chances of making it ? 1900 sat,i should also mention she plays semi pro paintball as well and is very aggresive slash goal orientated so the military is something shes very intereted in,, thanks and sorry for the bad grammer and spelling i know its bad but im lazy

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
It's a great option whether male or female but it has to be something she wants to do. My suggestion is she and you speak with the NROTC folks and see what they have to say. (Don't worry, they won't try to make her sign her life away. :icon_tong) If she's still interested seek out an active duty person that's out there currently "living the dream" and get their insight. There is a lot of talent and resources here on AW that can point her in the right direction.

megabork

thanks, shes actually quite excited and we live in a NAVY town so im sure we can get alot of feedback, are those stats i posted looking good for a scholarship?

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
thanks, shes actually quite excited and we live in a NAVY town so im sure we can get alot of feedback, are those stats i posted looking good for a scholarship?

Those stats look fairly good to me but I'm not the expert here. I'd suggest using the search function on this site to see what's been posted in the past. Also, guys like BlackBear and his NROTC friends may be able to add something.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Stalk did a good job of relating a key point. This has to be something that she is interested in, and in my opinion not just to see if she can do it. I have seen so many mids attrite because they just didn't want to be officers bad enough, or at all. They started the program because they were in JROTC, or because they wanted a challenge, but they didnt really have any interest in the 5 to 10 years of service after college.

It would be good for her to look into the Navy a head of time, find out what types of jobs she is interested in, and determine if her and the Navy are a good fit.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
It does look like your daughter has the stats on paper to do well. As for her chances, as previously stated, are going to be completely dependent on her. If she wants to be an officer, if she wants to drive airplanes or boats bad enough and has the will and ability to do what it takes, chance has very little to do with it.

If you would have asked me to pick on my first day of NROTC at Oregon State, who would get a commission and who would drop out I would have been completely wrong. The guys who really wanted to be naval officers were the ones who made it. The ones who didn't fell by the wayside quickly and quietly.

navy09

None
Her stats look great. The SAT may be a little below their average, but I think the perfect GPA pretty much makes up for it. Keep in mind the averages are just that. Varsity sports are a plus too.

The fact that she's female will help- like it or not, that's a fact.

It's important to know that they just switched the requirements this year to require 85% of all scholarships to be awarded to people with a math, science, or engineering major. If she's looking for a liberal arts major, it's going to make the process significantly more competitive. You may want to do a search on this topic. One downside is that you pretty much have to commit to a major in high school because if you switch after you get the scholarship, they can take it away.

NavAir42 said:
If you would have asked me to pick on my first day of NROTC at Oregon State, who would get a commission and who would drop out I would have been completely wrong. The guys who really wanted to be naval officers were the ones who made it. The ones who didn't fell by the wayside quickly and quietly.

Ain't that the truth. I'm in my senior year now, and almost all the super moto ex-JROTC kids that I came in with have washed out.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Her stats look great. The SAT may be a little below their average, but I think the perfect GPA pretty much makes up for it. Keep in mind the averages are just that. Varsity sports are a plus too.

Okay, I may be a little old, but I thought the max on the SAT was 1600 (back in 1997 when I took it) has it changed?

Eliot Watts

They rejiggered it a few years ago. It goes up to 2400 now? I remember in high school one of the kids a year ahead of me took the test a second time, in someone elses place, to try and score 1600 two times in a row. It was a bragging rights thing with a bit of money on the table.

He did it, another 1600, but he decided to tell the wrong person and the school found out. He was expelled, his SAT scores were scrubbed, and his college sent him a thin little letter telling him they were no longer interested in having him.

statesman

pilot
Okay, I may be a little old, but I thought the max on the SAT was 1600 (back in 1997 when I took it) has it changed?

If I remember correctly they added a writing portion. As in you have to write an essay. Either way total of 2400 points now.

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
The SAT being out of 2400 does not matter to the Navy as they completely ignore the writing portion. Found that out when I was interviewing NROTC applicants for NRD Atlanta. If she has a 1200-1300 and applies early I'd say she would be a shoe in for scholarship.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
The key is applying early. They start assigning scholarships as early as eptember and while they are perhaps a bit more selective up front, there are fewer people who have got all the stuff together soon ernough to get looked at. As was said before, focus on a technical major as 85% are earmarked for that.

My son picked one up early last year w/ a little over 1500 on math/verbal and a strong college prep curriculum. A friend of ours picked one up a few months later with better grades, but lower SAT score. I was told they use SAT as an initial weed out for the first few rounds of scholarship selection (i.e. no one below XXXX gets looked at in Round 1, etc). Not sure if that's true. Taking the SAT or ACT more than once seems to help as well.

An applicant also needs at least one extra-curricular activity that highlights leadership. Scouts is always a great one, if they make it to Eagle Scout, as it shows commitment. If not, it raises the question of why did you quit?

BTW, he enjoys it far more than I would have given him credit for.

statesman

pilot
BTW, he enjoys it far more than I would have given him credit for.

Probably has a lot to do with the unit. Not trying to discount NROTC, I love the guys in my unit, but I have heard from a lot of mids that don't necessarily enjoy their unit. It seems that fun schools that have good community have good NROTC units with good community. Picking a school is definately something not to take lightly. I would recomend going to a school she WANTS to go to, not the highest ranked school that will accept her.

The SAT being out of 2400 does not matter to the Navy as they completely ignore the writing portion. Found that out when I was interviewing NROTC applicants for NRD Atlanta. If she has a 1200-1300 and applies early I'd say she would be a shoe in for scholarship.

Not true at all. My NROTC recruiter said the same thing but I had a 1380 and didn't get a scholarship.