• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

parent & Complete noob

megabork

thanks so much guys i actually did search and got great info, im also going to steer her towards this sight,as im in san diego im going to have her talk to some women officers to get a realistic vantage point,coming from a non military family theres a little anxiety about commiting to this life, but she belives she is suited to it and i do as well (from civilian point that is)when you say "technical major" thats engineering,science etc? so if she wanted a JAG deal that would be possible? just curious as that what she wants to do,, also when you say apply earley you mean before jan? or should wwe have allready applied :(

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
The SAT being out of 2400 does not matter to the Navy as they completely ignore the writing portion. Found that out when I was interviewing NROTC applicants for NRD Atlanta. If she has a 1200-1300 and applies early I'd say she would be a shoe in for scholarship.

Hey, that's a dirty word around here...no bad juju...:D

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
when you say "technical major" thats engineering,science etc? so if she wanted a JAG deal that would be possible?

Technical means an engineering or a hard science (like a chemistry/biology with lots of math, labs, etc.). Speak to an OIC at an NROTC unit to find out the EXACT definition because I've heard a few thrown around (Tier I, Tier II, Tier III, etc.). Also, JAG isn't usually (read: ever) available to someone coming out of NROTC. You're pretty much forced into going unrestricted line barring some medical circumstances or getting picked up for an extremely rare scholarship or something. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
thanks so much guys i actually did search and got great info, im also going to steer her towards this sight,as im in san diego im going to have her talk to some women officers to get a realistic vantage point,coming from a non military family theres a little anxiety about commiting to this life, but she belives she is suited to it and i do as well (from civilian point that is)when you say "technical major" thats engineering,science etc? so if she wanted a JAG deal that would be possible? just curious as that what she wants to do,, also when you say apply earley you mean before jan? or should wwe have allready applied :(

If she wants JAG she would likely have to pay for her 4 year undergraduate degree and then apply for JAG once being accepted to Law School. I think there are schollarships available, but not for HS graduates.

navy09

None
JAG is pretty much not going to happen out directly of NROTC.

Here's how to be a JAG:

Law Education Program: Do NROTC, do her minimum service obligation in any field (the quickest is as a surface officer/ship driver- 4 years), then she can apply to LEP, they'll send her to law school and then she'll be a JAG when she graduates. This allows her to get a BA and a JD paid for by the Navy, plus she'd get some time as an actual combat officer.

Direct Appointment: Go to law school on your own dime, take the bar, then apply to the JAG corps and get your commission.

Student Program: Apply to JAG while in law school and get an inactive reserve commission, graduate, go to a watered down version of OCS, and start your active duty commitment.

megabork

JAG is pretty much not going to happen out directly of NROTC.

Here's how to be a JAG:

Law Education Program: Do NROTC, do her minimum service obligation in any field (the quickest is as a surface officer/ship driver- 4 years), then she can apply to LEP, they'll send her to law school and then she'll be a JAG when she graduates. This allows her to get a BA and a JD paid for by the Navy, plus she'd get some time as an actual combat officer.

Direct Appointment: Go to law school on your own dime, take the bar, then apply to the JAG corps and get your commission.

Student Program: Apply to JAG while in law school and get an inactive reserve commission, graduate, go to a watered down version of OCS, and start your active duty commitment.

great info !!! we assumed she would have to commit to a very long term if not career,shes very excited and she meets with recruiter today,you guys have been a great help and im sure she will be asking alot of questions thruout the process.As a parent i would be proud of any of my 5 kids to serve in out military and i want to thank all of you guys for your service to our country .. Finn

megabork

Interview is tommorow ,did search and got lots of great info,She also applied to USNA on the advice of her math teacher at school who attended there,, wish her luck and thanks again for all the advice this site has been very helpfull

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Congrats to her. She's lucky to have such a caring and web savy mom. :icon_smil
Good Luck