• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pax River

punx_clever

Gent's:

Right now I'm a stashed ENS at my ROTC and am scheduled to visit Pax River on the 22nd and 23rd with a group of MIDN getting their up-chits for summer cruise. One of our LT's will be taking care of the mids and my "job" is basically to check things out at the base. I was able to talk to a LT (call-sign Butters) from one of the test squadrons there, and he has offered to show me around.

I was wondering what I need to make sure I check out while I'm there. Also, I'd like to check out the town the night of the 22nd (a Thursday), and would like to know a good place to spend the evening enjoying myself.

I'm sure that Butters will take good care of me, but, as with anything, any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

V/R
Patrick Smith

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
PAX River, lets see, quaint comes to mind. St. Mary's city is just down the road, they claim oldest "official" city in the US. Solomons is just over the bridge (Pax River), also quaint. Photo paradise, I plan a photo shoot down there tomorrow if weather holds. Over night stay in one of the B&B's in Solomons is always nice. Up in Hollywood they have a CheeseBurger Paradise, sort of Jimmy Buffett style McDonalds. Nice joint, good drinks. An "All you can eat" Crab joint down in Lex Park, never been there, heard it is good.

By all means check out the base. Lots of interesting stuff on base, such as JSF with which I was involved in circa 1997. But they have newer stuff going on, check out related thread herein. Test Pilot School is there, you might want to wander in and take a look around. Air Museum is just inside the main gate to NAS Pax.

Think Lexington Park now has a Burger King and Starbucks but . ohh wait, they just opened an Olive Garden in Lex Park. From my perch, they roll up the sidewalks in Lex Park at 2100. Cedar Point O-club rocks, sometimes, Friday nights anyway.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Tiki Bar in Solomons. College kids from the tiny Saint Mary's College sometimes frequent the Green Door. As do local SMIBs who aren't always fans of the Navy. California and Lexington Park don't really have happening night lives.

Once you're done checking out the squadrons and birds, you might want to see if Butters can get you to the sims.

punx_clever

Pags,

Thanks for the idea. That's exactly what I was looking for. Butters has already talked about checking out the base, but the idea of the sims didn't even cross my mind. I was just happy to be talking to a test pilot.

To all,

I appreciate the tips on where to see a good time in town. Like I said, I'm still a little green, but a month with VRC-30 and the I-Bar on North Island has taught me to appreciate the lessons that can be learned at night. I don't know if I'll ever have another experience like playing liars dice with a 3 star as a mid.

V/R
Patrick Smith

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tiki Bar in Solomons. College kids from the tiny Saint Mary's College sometimes frequent the Green Door. As do local SMIBs who aren't always fans of the Navy. California and Lexington Park don't really have happening night lives.

Once you're done checking out the squadrons and birds, you might want to see if Butters can get you to the sims.

Given all my hippie friends from high school that went the SMCM, I'd say the students there aren't exactly fans of the Navy either.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
I hear they just got an Olive Garden....

Think you need reservations to Olive Garden three weeks in advance,:confused: or so I have heard. Did go there one night but packed, 2 hour wait; it was announced. Went to Thai International instead.

Angels

Contributor
Think you need reservations to Olive Garden three weeks in advance,:confused: or so I have heard. Did go there one night but packed, 2 hour wait; it was announced. Went to Thai International instead.
LOL. Olive Garden doesn't even take reservations! Every single time we have gone no matter what day or time it is always packed! Thai food is way better anyway!

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
LOL. Olive Garden doesn't even take reservations! Every single time we have gone no matter what day or time it is always packed! Thai food is way better anyway!
Except in Waco where it has been reported that the salad dressing is urine! :yuck_125: :bigeyes_1

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
I've met "Butters" (he let me in to USNTPS when I was banging on the hatch last year). Cool ass dude. You're in good hands.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tiki Bar on Soloman's Island. Nice little museum outside the Main Gate.

You can't say you've in the area unless you've done the Tiki Bar. Not much to look at, but it's the place to be when season gets going. It opened on the 16th so make sure you head over there for a Mai Tai. Plan your parking and get home strategy as you'll likely get wasted. There is a Holiday Inn Select at Solomons Island tucked away on the water with biggest Marina. Start there with Betty at their bar and do walk/crawl around the west perimeter of boat slips. Next stop is Naughty Gull literally next door to Holiday Inn. There are several superior restaurants all on the Marina side and a deluxe one, Solomons Pier (part of the Stoney's Seafood House "empire"), which is best location to watch sunset with a cocktail in your hand and for dinner and has most talented waitstaff (in all measureable ways). It's companion location, (Stoney's)Kingfishers, is almost across the street on the Marina side and is also worth a visit. There are several other locations for drinking or eating and all within walking distance. Note: it is Solomons Island in case you're trying mapquest or Google (not "Soloman's").

SolomonsPier.png

Have fun! I'd show you around, but have to be at Fallon during your visit.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Like I said, I'm still a little green, but a month with VRC-30 and the I-Bar on North Island has taught me to appreciate the lessons that can be learned at night. I don't know if I'll ever have another experience like playing liars dice with a 3 star as a mid.

So were you the reason Karen got fired? :)

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Would add that to be really adventurous, go up Solomon Island Road a couple of miles to Vera’s White Sands Beach Club and Marina. Catering to boating crowd, a very good restaurant and bar. Live entertainment and “special events”, catch as catch can. Food is great, service has always been lousy. Sunday special, an outstanding Margarita for $3.00. Or a Bloody Mary for the same price, both are excellent in the prevention of scurvy. Over the years have seen some wild times at Vera’s.