• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PCU NEW YORK arrives in NYC for commissioning

SkywardET

Contrarian
You know I heard that figure on the news and was wondering why so much? Isn't 2B what the new Super-Carriers cost?
I am curious as to why there is such surprise at the figure for its cost. Cost over-runs and high inflation seem to be the norm among our shipbuilding efforts, with some exceptions.

Still a beautiful ship. Hopefully all the kinks have been worked out of the class.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
More proof that all Marine rotary-wing aircraft can and do operate from LPD 17 decks:

14557_184475369192_594029192_2895295_4493732_n.jpg

(This is New York, though)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I see that they have four spots (right?), but can you actually have four turning on deck at the same time? Eyeballing the pic above, I wouldn't have thought there was enough clearance between the rotor arcs.

OscarMyers

None
I see that they have four spots (right?), but can you actually have four turning on deck at the same time? Eyeballing the pic above, I wouldn't have thought there was enough clearance between the rotor arcs.

looks like they can sqeeze four H-60s. not much more then that.

squorch2

pilot
There's a matrix in the air-capable ships manual about it, but I'm pretty sure you can have 4 smaller helos (60s, H-1s) turning simultaneously on the expanded spots (the 4 spots), but for launch only. Recovery is still to spots 1 and 2.

squorch2

pilot
Oh yeah - there are actually six spots - 1 and 2 are the big spots arranged fore-and-aft. 3-6 are the four expanded spots arranged in a square. The Huey in the picture isn't really on a spot.

phrogpilot73

You can launch and recover 4 Phrogs on the expanded spots (3-6). That's what it was designed towards. After landing on spots 5 & 6 I can tell you that I'm fairly certain that nothing bigger than a Phrog can land next to each other. My guess would be they could pull the old standby of spots 3 & 6 spinning, and 4 & 5 folded...

Oh, and your comment with regards to that picture that proof "ALL" Marine rotary wing can operate off the USS NY is incorrect. There is no Phrog in the photo. And we're the ones that got the DVs aboard.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Oh, and your comment with regards to that picture that proof "ALL" Marine rotary wing can operate off the USS NY is incorrect. There is no Phrog in the photo. And we're the ones that got the DVs aboard.

I thought when it comes to anything to do with Phrogs, there is no proof required :D :D :D